User

prabhjotpanesar

Rank

Non Member

Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:47 pm

Bromley

1989 Renault 25 V6 Turbo - Le Spicey Garlic

Postby prabhjotpanesar » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:59 am

I pulled this report from another forum i'm on.

Evening all Retro chaps and chappettes

as some of you know I purchased a 25 v6 turbo a few weeks back, I was debating rehousing the engine in another 25, but i'd rather retain the original shell even though it is a bit tatty!

Last week I got about actually moving it out of the garage and giving it a quick clean on the interior, I don't have a wet vac so ended up cleaning it by hand with Dettol Mould/Grime remover and some 1001, came up ok! but its very very aged and the bulk of it needs replacing.

I vacumed most of the leaves and crap out of the bay

Dirty interior

1001, some great stuff, sadly still filty in the car but a whole lot better

During the clean:

80s/90s fox alarm, disconected what was left of it and took it out

carpets still dirty after a vacuum/1001, really need a vax

no crappy alarm!

The car is fairly straight, got a few dings in the rear 1/4s to sort and a bit of rust on the arches, and a little around the windscreen

Took it for an MOT last thursday

Got an advisory on the headlights and a few other niggles:

Today I set about sorting out a radio. The car had no radio present in it when I bought it, and I had an old sony unit laying spare, wiring it in wasn't too much hassle, the real hassle was trying to push the loom up and around etc while I pushed it in without damaging it! its a very tight fit behind, managed to get the bulk of the wiring to sit behind slightly above the unit, din pocket will be going in there aswell.

Found this in my drawer:

Not strictly period correct but its going to good use:

the to do list for the car:

I've sourced a donor car with a full interior, so going to get everything I need from that, my interior needs new parcel shelf supports, boot carpet and door cards, but will end up replacing it all.

Exterior I may replace the rear bumper and ditch the tow bar. Needs the rot attending to, will just tidy it up and rattle can here and there and give it a good polish, give the car some patina!

I've also sourced the correct dual beam headlamps for the car, the tester passed my car despite a minor niggle with the headlamps on the basis that I am changing these soon!

Prab

Just a small update

Some goodies arrived:

Induction kit, note the rip off logo lol

Nice and big:

Alloy pipe:

May do some work on it a bit later today, otherwise will probably be next week, will probably fit my old boost gauge i've got laying spare

Prab

26/3/13

Just a small update, nothing too interesting. The blue 2.0 TXE that wil be donating an interior and other panels/odds and ends is finally being stripped, the cars up in sheffield and a mates picking up the parts from it over easter.

In the mean time managed to grab some new keys :) £11.50 for the door key and a fiver to get an ignition key cut locally

I needed a din pocket but there was a joblot on ebay for only £2 more then the cost of a single pocket so modified one of them to house a boost gauge I had laying spare.

Will mount it above the radio once I run the wires and find a grommet to push the vacum pipe through

Prab

27/3/13

Small update, had a spare half hour earlier so fitted the din pocket and ran the vacum tube up behind the centre console and will find a gromett to feed it into the bay eventually!

illumination comes on with the lights

Prab

01/04/13

Just another small update.

Cut the alloy pipe down to size and fitted my induction kit :)

Makes a lovely noise

Expect some big updates end of this month, I have allot of parts arriving from a 25 thats being broken up norf!

Prab

10/4/13

Small Update,

This arrives yesterday, excellent service from carpartssaver

Out with the old (varta calcium battery, calcium batterys are difficult to charge and not really the best on older cars)

In with the new, the car starts first click, I always thought I had a weak starter aswell as battery but this battery just makes light work of starting the car :)

Prab

19/4/13

Small update.

Managed to fit the dual beam lamps I bought from a mate/25 nut, admittedly they are not in mint condition but are an improvement over the incorrect single beam units that were fitted.

Removing the old lamps was not too hard but getting the new ones in we're a right bar steward

The car has also had a cooling fan failure in the past, so I only have the one instead of the two. I'll see how well it runs on just having one but will be sourcing the second one when i get a chance!

Need to adjust how they sit a bit:

This wind deflector is fugly and was bugging the hell out of me

Removed it, but when I wen't to remove the brackets (they are held in the sunroof channel, I discovered the sunroof does not work! must rectify this

Thats all for now, getting some more bits to get on with next weekend!

Prab

22 April 13

Another small update.

I have a spare bumper in as new condition, and a mate of mine wanted the tow hitch, so I pulled the old bumper and tow hitch off. Next job is to repair the small bits of rot I found behind, and also order up some new brackets and bits and bobs to fit the replacement.

I don't think I trust this as a spare!

Prab

23 April 13

Started treating the rust, found some Rust treatment Gel, Anti Rust primer and some paint and underseal in the garage, will probably finish this up tommorow.

Applied the gel (topping up every 30 minutes)

Measured some pipework and the radiator inlet/outlet, so I can order some silicone pipe to replace the bodges that are on the car:

Hazaa, with some persuasion the sunroof opened and I was able to finish removing the Wind deflector brackets

Thats all for now, no doubt more updates at the weekend :)

Prab

28/4/13

Quick update, on friday I treated the rear valance and primed it

Sanded back the areas surrounding the rust and also treated and primed

My bumper bolts were delivered from renault aswell:

And yesterday was the Annual General Meeting of the Renault Owners Club, and while I was there I took delivery of my leather interior from a mate who went to strip it off the car and deliver it!

Folded the seats flat and loaded up the garlic barge

Front seats and console

Box full of all sorts of interior parts

Popped the rear bench into the back of the v6t to save room in the garage, i'll be fitting it soon anyway

Sprayed up the rear valance/panel

Better picture of the front seats and cards, just need a clean

I'll be fettling and getting on with bits and pieces over the next few weeks, thank god for longer daylight hours!

Prab

29 4 13

Another update guys, things are progressing quite well :)

Fitted my replacement rear bumper today, and had to use post 90 spec mounts (these are much better anyway)

Removed the chromes off of the old bumper

Bumper is on

Tatty broken old thing

Got the rear leather bench in :)

Removed the temporary rear view and fitted a propper one!

Loaded up the garlic barge with the old rear bench and bumper to take down to the tip

Will probably get on with some more work depending what time I get home tommorow!

Prab

30th April 2013

Swapped out the door cards and while they were off tried to lube up and free the window runners a bit, they work now, still very slowly.

The local trim shop quoted me £140 to transfer the leather covers from the exec seats onto my ergo seats, I think I will probably do that as i don't want to lose my quirky air inflation lark!

And finally, to sleeper or not to sleeper?

Prab

3rd May 2013

Small update.

Set about removing the old spoiler, what an absolute coont that was! two of the bolts plain out refused to budge and I had to use all sorts of things to get them out!

Drilled the holes for the new spoiler

Trial fitted the spoiler, need to order some JB weld and paint before I fit it properly.

The mismatched rear lights were bugging me, turns out the discolouration on the old light was due to water leaking in

Thats better

Cleaned the interior, did the dash headlining, windows, plastics etc etc, and then fed the leather, all that remains to do apart from replace the front seats is give the carpet a vax

Prab

4th May 2013

Well I set about beginning to fill my spoiler holes, i was deliberating over using jb weld and sanding down or putting something behind and filling on top.

I decided to araldite some 2ps behind the holes so I have a nice solid base to filler over, gutted that I wasted 12p!

Voila

Prab

10/4/13

Quick update

Set about sorting the nasty dent in the rear 1/4

As edd china says a golf ball of filler to a pea of hardener!

Primed

Painted (not the best finish, my prep was wink but this will do till a propper respray)

Prab

17/7/13

Quick update.

Gave it a service a few months ago, oil, filter, new thermostat, new rad fan switch, only for the old radiator to fail completely. Was a good excuse for me to change it along with all the bad bodged pipework as it was clearly the wrong rad for the car!

Sourced a new inlet hose as the old one had a split in it and was 'repaired' with duct tape.

Old bodged rad and rad 'hose'

New inlet :)

Had this Dump valve laying spare so I thought why not!

Replaced my headlight stalk, as the old one was knackered and would not select high beams, new one working a treat :)

A cooling fan sourced from ebay, as my car was missing one of the fans!

Out with the old

In with the new, along with a second hand but good condition hose

Only the best for the oul girl, not expensive either :)

Thats all for now folks, after pay day i'll be renewing the entire braking system :)

Prab

Well she's now taxed, and I took it on an extensive test drive in town and down the lanes to test it out. Boy does she motor!, Still got a few things I need to sort, a little bit of welding before the next MOT, and i'm still going to completely overhaul and upgrade the braking system. As she was sat for so long she looked tired so gave her a quick jetwash before I got home :)

Lets Just say allot of cars got their arses handed to them today :D

Prab
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Re: 1989 Renault 25 V6 Turbo - Le Spicey Garlic

Postby BIG_MVS » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:36 pm

What a nice old barge! Really good write up well done for saving it.

Quite a few 25 V6 Turbo's have gone to the crusher due to us I'm afraid, as you are well aware the Lump and Gearbox is the same as the GTA V6 Turbo. For once though I'm not guilty me lord.

What's the plan next? If meets/shows are your thing I'm sure you will be more than welcome to tag along with us? Bromley sticks out as an event for you next year!!??
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:37 pm

Good write up Prab. Keep them coming.

Quite a few 25 V6 Turbo's have gone to the crusher due to us I'm afraid, as you are well aware the Lump and Gearbox is the same as the GTA V6 Turbo. For once though I'm not guilty me lord.

I'm not so sure to be honest. I think a few have sacrificed their lumps for GTAs but I'd say not as many as you might think. Problem is, as you well know, that the engine and gearbox are the most valuable part so other people have extracted them before scrapping the rest and then just popped the former on ebay. But I doubt many on here have bought one with that goal in mind. There's just not really that many left to rob.
I'm just here for the gasoline.
no avatar
User

prabhjotpanesar

Rank

Non Member

Bromley

Postby prabhjotpanesar » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:58 pm

Cheers guys, in the 90s these were still fairly plentiful and when the prices were hitting rock bottom a lot did sacrifice the engines for the GTA brigade, as far as 25s in General go. The gearboxes from even the non v6s had the same ratios and were un1s and were also robbed not only for GTAs, but also for Esprits etc, very popular gearbox on the kit car scene too!

As far as shows go will probably try and get to a fair few next year, took my 2.0 12v TXI to a couple this year :)

Prab
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:54 am

Prab, where did you get the light stalk from.
I need one like this for my GTA, same issue, no high beam.
Best I have so far is a R5 version with the correct handle but no indicator cancel, and a 25 version with the cranked indicator cancel but wrong handle......
Your picture shows BOTH, which is just what I need :-)

Simon
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
no avatar
User

prabhjotpanesar

Rank

Non Member

Bromley

Postby prabhjotpanesar » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:49 pm

simontaylor wrote:Prab, where did you get the light stalk from.
I need one like this for my GTA, same issue, no high beam.
Best I have so far is a R5 version with the correct handle but no indicator cancel, and a 25 version with the cranked indicator cancel but wrong handle......
Your picture shows BOTH, which is just what I need :-)

Simon

I got mine from a 25 I was breaking for parts ;) there is a few on ebay I beleive

Prab
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:54 pm

Bloody hell you've been busy!
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

prabhjotpanesar

Rank

Non Member

Bromley

Postby prabhjotpanesar » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:20 am

Haha stephen, i've even left bits out! Last night I ended up fitting a brand new coilpack onto the used tested ignition module clee sent me. Hopefully if theres enough daylight when I get in from work i'll get that fitted and maybe some of the other odds and ends affecting the running issues! Waiting on a replacement pas pump at the moment so when that comes will renew all the belts

Prab
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

Postby Tony Smith » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:44 pm

Great to see one of these back on the road, only a handful left over here now. Always fun to drive - more like surfing the way the nose lifts when the wave of boost comes in :0)
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
no avatar
User

prabhjotpanesar

Rank

Non Member

Bromley

Postby prabhjotpanesar » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:01 pm

Tony Smith wrote:Great to see one of these back on the road, only a handful left over here now. Always fun to drive - more like surfing the way the nose lifts when the wave of boost comes in :0)

Haha so true! Not driven it much lately, got so much work to get on with, need to get the brakes sorted asap and get the welding done. Fitted new coilpack, Coolant Temp Sensor, and Temp Gauge Sender at the weekend, need to drive it to see if my conking out issue has been resolved!

Prab
no avatar
User

prabhjotpanesar

Rank

Non Member

Bromley

Postby prabhjotpanesar » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:24 pm

Decided I needed to make room in the garage for car no 3, so fitted my Laguna Silverstones:

Parts Storage:

Also fitted some yellow high beams

Prab
no avatar
User

Alpineandy

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:37 am

North Essex

Postby Alpineandy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:51 pm

Each to their own, but personally I don't think the wheels suit the 25.
Nice car though.
Alpine A110, Renault Safrane 2.5dt, Hudson Kindred Spirit (Renault powered), transAlp (Honda) and Ducati Multistrada
no avatar
User

prabhjotpanesar

Rank

Non Member

Bromley

Postby prabhjotpanesar » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:08 am

Alpineandy wrote:Each to their own, but personally I don't think the wheels suit the 25.
Nice car though.

Yeah they are a marmite wheel, but the original wheels had tyres on them that were easily 10 years old, with the wrong profile (225 50 instead of 205 50) and cracking, so these laguna wheels serve a legal purpose aswell

Prab
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:35 pm

Yes I'm not keen on the wheels either but they are better than dodgy old ditch finders.

Would you be interested in another one/spares car?

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewto ... =20&t=4961
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
no avatar
User

prabhjotpanesar

Rank

Non Member

Bromley

Postby prabhjotpanesar » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:18 pm

Oooh if its a phase 1 that would suit me down to the ground!

Prab
Next

• Advertisement