User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

Project TERMIN8TOR is go

Postby Tony Smith » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:19 pm

After 3 years of sitting forlornly on my old driveway the 8 is now in my new garage ready to be worked on. So no excuses this winter! Gave the car a good going over today, removing some of the rusty panels and having a good poke around. I knew the car was solid when I bought it but was worried being outside may have taken its toll. Therefore I was pleasantly surprised to find nothing I didn't know about, underneath is completely rock solid with no rust anywhere. Front wings and bonnet were very rusty but I knew that and I have replacements. Under the bonnet there is a hole that will need plating - apparently a common place for them to rust but straightforward to repair

Stripped off wings and bonnets and removed interior, the interior floor looks rusty but its very light suface rust, nothing to worry about. So bodywork wise it looks like a pretty straightforward project.

Nice solid arches

Bonnet Off

Empty Interior

Originally the plan was to fit a high power Gordini Turbo engine but trying to get a gearbox that mated up to the original swing axle made that a non-starter - 200 ft/lbs being too much even for the strongest of 'boxes of this type - and they are silly money.

My new cunning plan is to transplant the engine from my Clio 172, complete with gearbox subframe and suspension into the back, so will be transverse rear engine. Also plan to do a budget supercharger conversion on the engine to run 5 or 6psi boost with an intercooler.

Fuel tank will move to the front and would like to get some turrets welded in the front and use the Clio uprights -maybe a Clio subframe up front too. Want to try and use as much of the Clio as possible although not sure how feasible this will be.
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Re: Project TERMIN8TOR is go

Postby BIG_MVS » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:29 pm

Looks like a cracking project, keep us up to date with it.
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

mogster242

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:13 pm

Bournemouth

Re: Project TERMIN8TOR is go

Postby mogster242 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:50 pm

Fantastic project :up ;) been thinking of doing this for a while for when I finally finish the gta but most prob won't happen as prob too big a project for me...
Will be following your project with very much interest
Good luck with it
1989 GTA V6 Turbo Grey
Megane R26 F1
Clio 197

• Advertisement