Moderators: eastlmark, BIG_MVS, Test Moderator

User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:13 am

Re: E200JVV GTA TURBO Resto

Postby turbell » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:07 am

I have found out the Turbo2 was straight white, the picture showing the top of the rear quarter looked metallic/pearl to me so that doesn't bode well for my mince pies !
Shall I play it safe? ......Gris Argent, a la my old 11T .......O where are you now ............

I caught sight of Terry as he was known, a few years back and someone had modded him a bit .....don't want to know what state he's in now.....proper loved that car... :hang
Should be getting paint advice/info from a proper Renault bodyman soon........should shed light on how the different shades present themselves .
Better a penniless free man, than a rich prisoner
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:00 am

I know exactly what you mean about the browny pearl white that you see. Not sure if that's original or if it goes brown with age.

I definitely think you should paint it Pearl White though as it's a fantastic colour. You might be onto something with the later Pearl white being a different paint code. Maybe they banished the brown and got it right second time round? Your choice as it's your car obviously.

How about this Pearl white from a Lotus, this looks more like it!

Rather than diarrhea Pearl.....

1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Postby turbell » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:25 am

Gotta be careful how bright I go, a modern bright white is gonna show the rest of the trim up unless it's minty mint.
All those gleaming white Audi-Panzer-Merc-Beemers on diamond cut cart wheels aren't gonna look so well in ten years!
( they will probably look fine......'cos their German...... :Butt .....)
Sometimes it's the light that shows the colour badly, dull days it's pants, give it some UV and out it pops :up
It's only getting done once, so however it turns out it's tough titties........ we'll see, two chances, not life or death, yadda, yadda....etc.
User

miles thomas

Rank

Non Member

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:38 pm

west sussex

Postby miles thomas » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:32 am

No offence intended to all diarrhea pearl white owners :silent
Spider,Clio Tce,C4 Cactus, 1967 DS.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:27 am

Too white looks shite .Appliance white .....JIL was white but not that harsh .Cant link to pics as on phone at work but there are some pics on here in the gallery somewhere .
User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Postby turbell » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:35 am

Had a chat with Andy the painter yesterday evening and picked up some good tips, thanks for taking the time and for giving me your home no. Andy... :pray
Current thinking is 015 is the way to go, basically a lighter/whiter ground coat, and of course being a pearl it's highly variable on how much of the second pearl coat goes on. But Mick understands where I want to go on this so I trust his judgement, there will be a few test cards done with varying amounts of pearl to see how it looks.
It'll be a bit livelier than before but not 'appliance white' as Clee rightly put it.
Before the last 5GT's were flat white (lots I used to see on 'H' plates) 'G' and 'F' plate cars I think used this shade and a little googlisation brought this up in the first few results ( yes I know it's a T2, but I ended up here), I wouldn't have thought this was the correct shade as claimed, 015 being an '89 on shade, but perhaps the owner was having the same thoughts as I am now, the light looks evening-ish but I think if I can get near this then I'll be chuffed as little mint balls...............
http://www.r5gordini.co.uk/mediawiki/File:A742_SCK.jpg
And if you don't like it remember what Granny used to say.........." If you've got nothing nice to say,.........say nothing at all! " :wave :wave
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:56 pm

Looks good to me. Tip for all the plastics (scuttle and rear 1/4 vents), give them a tickle with very fine wet and dry paper and they will come up a treat.
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Postby turbell » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:38 pm

Spent an hour or so today on the rear intercooler grill, one broken fixing I had repaired yonks ago with Aralshite, two others cracking and loads of marks and general shabbiness.
First fix the fixings with my favourite magic glue, then flat back and scratch it up, plenty panel wipe and a couple of light coats of plastic primer,

Then paint the reverse side first with satin black, then the face lots of light coats with it at different angles.
That's better.

Just need a painted car to fit them too......Ahem...
User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Postby turbell » Thu May 07, 2015 5:22 pm

Well we're in paint, just bumpers to do tomorrow, turned out just as I wanted lighter, but not overly so.
Needs de-nibbing and a polishing and of course fitting up, but I'm happy.
Photo is a bit crap, but I'll take some better ones when she's all back together. :super

User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu May 07, 2015 5:27 pm

dude ...sweet ... :up
User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Postby turbell » Sun May 10, 2015 7:10 am

The car is now all painted and we have started the fit up, doors are hung, rear bumper on, front still to go on plus bonnet and rear hatch.
So spent yesterday going through the trim and sorting the various fasteners I have chucked into an ice cream tub with no idea what is for what !
First job , and get some small bits into bigger bits I can recognise, assemble mirrors, I think the N/S motor assembly is sick as it does a bit of whirrrring then dies but I want to get the car together so I can drive it home and save on the loader cost.
I confused.com'ed it a month ago and got a fully comp quote for £90, bearing in mind the loader wants £30 to take it 1-2mile I think i'd rather insure it and drive it, as it will go straight on the road now anyway.

Big M mentioned flatting the plastics with fine wet'n dry, which is a method I've used before on fifties stuff ( interior handles..etc )
but I thought it was going to be difficult on all the angles on say the rear vents.
So after first cleaning the front scuttle trims with Muc-off and warm soapy water I tried a 3m scratch pad, doing it wet and I am really pleased with the result 20mins or so and it worked a treat.
Below is the result, with an untouched one at the top, no silicon or treatment on either and they are both just clean and de-greased

A little Autoglym trim and bumper on and it looked spot on, I did both scuttle trims, the rear vents and also the upper intercooler trim that fits in the spoiler and they all responded equally well.
Hopefully, with Monday night on it and a full day Wednesday we should get it back together.
no avatar
User

gchristofi

Rank

Non Member

Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:50 am

Cambridgeshire

Postby gchristofi » Sun May 10, 2015 11:05 am

Great attention to detail. Can't wait to see photos when it's back together. Going to look brand new!
There are 10 types of people in this world; those that understand binary and those that don't.
User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Postby turbell » Fri May 15, 2015 7:40 pm

Slowly slowly catchy monkey..................

Painters are mucky buggers though........dust everywhere ! Daren't complain, don't think he enjoyed the Renault pearl white experience.......................... :hang
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Fri May 15, 2015 7:53 pm

Tell me 'bout it ...no respect for oily bits .....prima donnas to boot ....looks good though
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sat May 16, 2015 10:07 am

Looks great. Comparing to your old Renault 11, back in '86 when they first arrived they must have looked like they'd landed from another planet.
I'm just here for the gasoline.
PreviousNext

• Advertisement