BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Re: E200JVV GTA TURBO Resto

Postby BIG_MVS » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:17 pm

Keep it coming! I must say I like the cut of your jib turbell very refreshing for this place nowadays.

This made me laugh:

some of you may remember Dangledogs post on the very same subject, well Lee put him in touch with me and I sent him this info...........still waiting for them beers Dangly....

It's not the first time we have been used for info/parts. Why do people do this, a thank you would have been just as good I suspect.
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:32 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0un58EPmeM

Babs version is better known but in tribute to my old man who brought me up on this sort of shizzle ...feel the love people :RATS
User

Miles

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:06 am

Hampshire

Postby Miles » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:45 pm

Looking great, fantastic write up.
Hope you get it back together soon.

Dave
User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:13 am

Postby turbell » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:14 pm

Martin, glad I made you chuckle ...
Lee, never knew Barbara Windsor covered that..........I was raised more on this........ :pint
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CWIIoSf4nw
Dave, car is back together, running, and MOT'd just waiting paint, well waiting for my paint charver to pull his finger out and get a manky old Saab turbo out of the way, this is all retrospective from the past three years or so, but will probably continue as there is a few of the old GTA niggles to sort.
Better a penniless free man, than a rich prisoner
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:30 pm

You've lost me on the old music there I'm afraid.

I'm with the Fella from Belfast when it comes to tunes. More apt as well when it comes to Alpines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEPmA3USJdI
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:41 pm

I;ve seen Hall and Oats in your glovebox :Butt
User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Postby turbell » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:48 pm

Nowt wrong wi' DC ( Bon Scott era best ), I'm a child of the late seventies and early eighties though, so due to too much American programming means can't help but feel a soft spot for a bit of country ..........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnRwQjTYfGI
But that's the problem with Youtube end up wasting an hour looking at shizzle.....back to the job in hand, engine rebuild.
The car was getting quite rough towards the end which could have been more than one thing but the main reason for a strip down was the coolant weeping from the the head gasket joint. On pulingl the heads no wonder they were not even tight, and you could see the fire rings were discoloured. In the service history there was mention of overheating and head gasket replacement which explained both this and the vast amount of clear silicone on the rocker covers and top of the timing cover.Also it appeared that the dog that engages with the 1-3 bank cam was not quite engaged for the dizzy drive, there was a witness mark on the pulley where it had sat, this explained the central carbon in the dizzy cap being forced right in, Jeez how did ever it run as well as it did, but there more to come.
The picture above doesn't look like the bad bank but, but l have to trawl hundreds of pictures to find what I want, can any one spot what wrong with the next picture and why?
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:01 am

Friday build at Dieppe
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Postby MFaulks » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:06 am

Go on tell... :-) what are we looking at, the deep combustion band on 6, and why it looks past the top ring position? Coz it didn't have a top ring fitted? Colour looks like a bit of coolant contamination too, but not so bad it washed... Heads well carbon'ed up, yucks... dunno, I can't believe the piston stops short as there is no combo of parts I can think of that would give you that, other than the Volvo pistons... spill beans :-)

Over to zee engin sexspurts to chivy in :-)

Nice thread btw, good read :-)
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/maftecfaulks
User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Postby turbell » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:35 pm

You are correct, of course Mr Faulks, missing top ring in No.6, no evidence the bottom end had been apart ( spanner/socket marks internally ) so can only assume It was a Friday build and someone perhaps snapped a ring and thought 'feck it ' probably end up in a in 'Rosbifs ' car!
Interesting you mention coolant as there were pits on the surface of the big end journals and I was thinking looked like old coolant had etched, assuming contamination from the leaky HG's had not been burnt off in the oil as the car would be started to move it about and not run up to temp? Likely explanation?
Block rot is well documented by Lee, so of course I wouldn't get away with it ....would I ......so I noticed this behind the cam chain just were No.3 pot was,
Sorry its a pants pic but corrosion coming through from the the water jacket.I had the mother of all battles getting No.6 and No.3 out, they would rotate 90 deg or so and lift 5mm would not come out at all, I dug out all the crap round them but they would not have it. Now any respect I have gained will quickly evaporate when I explain in a fit of gorilla tactics decided to try and tap them out from below with a large screwdriver and hammer which quickly turned sour when it slipped off the edge of the liner and went in between the liner and block wrecking the liner............twice..........so two wrecked liners, a pitted crank, and after a good clean a block which at the very least had a pinhole and looked like an aluminium eating caterpillar had lived in it with a relative staying in the penthouse flat in the V ...........munch munch munch ..........
Now these are not rare as such engines but you can't go down the local breaker and pick one up for £100 and after talking to Lee about options and how he could help, I had a chance conversation with my Motor factor owning mate about a Ferrari P4 kitcar someone had started yonks ago using a R25 T engine and tranny, that was unfinished and very local !
User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Postby turbell » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:51 pm

Found an avatar website, do you think this one is OK and apt for a 42 year old white male, my daughter thinks not !
User

PaulC1959

Rank

Non Member

Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:56 pm

Bedfordshire

Postby PaulC1959 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:07 am

turbell wrote:Found an avatar website, do you think this one is OK and apt for a 42 year old white male, my daughter thinks not !

Old Sigmund Freud might have something interesting to say about it, but as he's not a member who cares? :up
Venturi 260 - Saphir (Bleu)
Renault Sport Megane 230 F1 Team R26 - Liquid Yellow
Renault Sport Clio 197 - Ultra Red
Renault Megane Maxim 1.5 DCi - Extreme Blue (Daily Runner)
Minari RS - Coral Red
Smart Roadster Coupe 80 - Spice Red
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:59 pm

potrot always good for a laugh ....But had one recently where the V had competely gone through to the oilway .Just from being sat with muck in there ....low mileage Atmo ..
User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Postby turbell » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:27 pm

So after a few phone calls and messages I got touch with the owner of the Kit car, John.
Now John had first caught sight of the Ferrari P4 replica on some Sky program in about 2000 and set his heart on one, business was good at the time so he placed his order and the suppliers recommended a R25 turbo as a base was for what he wanted, quick enough and it would brake the bank, sourcing him a 'C' plate car for about a grand which he took home and with help from a neighbour removed the engine and box then returned them to the kit car manufacturer so the chassis mounts could be made.
So just a simple build you'd think,...well I think John wouldn't mind me saying his building is better than his mechanical skills and he had also taken on himself to alter the original NF developments design that had raised the original roofline to give more headroom,.....paying someone to re jig the engine cover and then tackling the roof himself, and now twelve+ years later this is how it sat, with the infamous when I retire story attached to it.........I hope so its a shame 'cos it looks awesome.
To help John ...you understand..... I offered to take the 25T engine off his hands leaving him free to fit a proper crate V8 that would suit the car much more....Oh much more John .....definitely. No seriously John agreed it was more use to me and we agreed a price subject to me being able to get a decent comp reading on all the pots, the car showed 80k with some history ex Renault mechanic apparently and looked spot on compared to the GTA lump, but then in a 25 the engine is protected more and doesn't cook in a plastic box, the heat can soak into the metal shell and dissipate away.
I originally intended cleaning up the engine and bunging it in, but when I went to spin the motor over, after having to fetch the my starter motor as the one on the lump died, I couldn't get hardy any comp out of the pots, dejected I offered him £450 for the lot minus tranny, lump inc turbo, ecu ,loom basically everything that had come out of the 25, John assured me it was sweet twelve years ago and I daren't go any lower so I returned a week later and took it out of the P4 and took it home.
I couldn't just fit it as there was something amiss maybe only sticky rings , but I didn't want to risk it, so off with its heads!
Oh flip, and bigger and willies and boobies,......................will this pain never end?
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Postby MFaulks » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:08 am

LOL... baby snatching, I mean how could you.. :-) talking about helping a fellows kit car to go further backwards, that's funny... better not point him towards Chris T's Noble P4 with a 3ltr n/a PRV in the back, last few pages on my boneyard thread in projects :-) ... do like your style, need more threads like this :-)
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/maftecfaulks
PreviousNext

• Advertisement