User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Sat May 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Nottingham

Rear brakes

Postby paulrob100 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:34 am

When out for a run in my GTA at the weekend, I noticed a rumbling sound coming from the rear of the car. at first I thought it was a wheel bearing, but when I got home & checked around, the offside wheel was hot. Obviously either the calliper is sticking or the handbrake is badly adjusted. I have removed the pads. The bearing seems ok.

I cannot wind back the piston, so I am going to buy a proper rewind tool. Is it a normal right hand tool that's needed? Also is it the same for the nearside calliper as I want to overhaul that one at some point. Or is the n/s one left handed ?

Thanks, Paul
La Plastique Fantastique :GTA
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Re: Rear brakes

Postby clee » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:44 am

Hi Paul .Most of the std rewind tools don't fit the piston grooves .I've got the correct tool but you should be able to rotate the piston with a sturdy flat bar of some sort .I use a broken flat file ......works better than the proper tool most of the time .
As always if you get stuck you know where I am :wave
User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Nottingham

Postby paulrob100 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:56 pm

Thanks Lee

I found a piece of bar that fitted the slots & wound the piston back. I cleaned the pads & put them back in with coppaslip. however on pressing the pedal the pads do not release. Likewise if the handbrake is applied then released the pads do not release. It looks like the handbrake lever on the calliper is moving freely so it must be internal. I think I need to get the calliper off the car & on to the bench for an overhaul. Providing I can get the cable off the calliper ! :thinking

Paul
no avatar
User

BobFromNorway

Rank

Non Member

Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:15 pm

Postby BobFromNorway » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:02 am

Worth checking the flexi hose, had a couple of those collapse internally on another car I have, trapped the fluid in the caliper & held the brakes on. :thinking
1987 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 V6 Twin Turbo
1993 Alfa Romeo 155 V6
1987 Honda VFR 750F
2001 Audi A6 2.5 Allroad daily driver
User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Nottingham

Postby paulrob100 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:44 pm

Ok. I have decided to remove the calliper. I had to sacrifice the handbrake cable, which was in a poor condition anyway. I haven't got it stripped yet, but the return springs seem to be the problem - the piston is not returning when released.

Is it possible to obtain the calliper return springs ? & are new handbrake cables available ? Its the drivers side one I need, or does someone have a good one I can buy please.

Thanks, Paul
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:28 pm

Simon autos list the handbrake cables, but remember to check part numbers carefully and possibly swap sides compared to a LHd car.
On my a610 a defective cable gave the same symptoms, it dragged so the spring wasn't strong enough and that meanest the handbrake didn't adjust properly.
If I remember correctly the spring force comes from specially shaped washers within the calliper and you will need a special tool to dismantle or reassemble it.
Brakes international or big red provide decent rebuild services or one side was available new on eBay recently.
Cheers
Lee
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:49 am

I think I have a drivers side cable from Simon in stock + a few scrap caliper bodies for the springs + the special tool + I do have refurbished units on the bench .As Lee says the return springs are belleville washers,about 5 or 6 .Usually it's the arm going over center that causes problems,the cam pops out .
Here's a guide
http://www.retro-renault.com/forums/mec ... ipers.html
User

mogster242

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:13 pm

Bournemouth

Postby mogster242 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:14 pm

I bought a set of handbrake cables from Simon auto when Stephen Dell paid them a visit earlier this year. He confirmed the LHD and rhd are the same.
1989 GTA V6 Turbo Grey
Megane R26 F1
Clio 197
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:15 am

Hi Mogster,
On the A610 the handbrake cables are the same LHD and RHD, but they swap sides, the parts book doesn't make this clear. I dont know if this is true of the GTA too.

Something to watch.
Lee
User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Nottingham

Postby paulrob100 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:47 am

All sorted now, thanks for the advice. The piston seemed to be sticking in the calliper, so a strip down & rebuild with new seals & a new cable have fixed it. :up

Paul

• Advertisement