User

AndyClark

Rank

Non Member

Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:41 am

Birmingham

Coolant hoses

Postby AndyClark » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:25 pm

I took my GTA atmo out for a drive today. About 10 miles in, the small coolant hose hear the distrubutor failed. RAC bandaged the hose up to get me home. I'm now thinking of what to replace all the hoses with. I guess none are available from Renault?

I have kept this link and wondered if anyone has tried these Samco ones?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAMCO-SILICON ... 463566621e

Although the one that failed (different diameter at each end?) doesn't seem to be on the picture?

Someone posted on here that the hose set they bought for an A310 didn't fit too well! Not sure where that set can from.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
no avatar
User

gchristofi

Rank

Non Member

Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:50 am

Cambridgeshire

Re: Coolant hoses

Postby gchristofi » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:52 pm

Simon Auto do complete sets of silicones for these cars. I have just ordered a set and waiting on delivery. I went with this kit as it looks to include every hose and given that they're approaching 30 years, only a matter of time till needing to replace them all.

Go to the shop and look up item number 241275-1 . This should be a full set for ATMO

http://www.simon-auto-shop.com/

Search part number in top left search box

I'll feedback quality and fit when I get to fit them.
There are 10 types of people in this world; those that understand binary and those that don't.
no avatar
User

Dave Williams

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:43 pm

Surrey

Postby Dave Williams » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:19 pm

Some sellers have only turbo..some atmo kits. Some both...some single pipes.....I'm about to have the rigid pipes replaced on my atmo...(many rubber pipes have been replaced already..so I'll probably get by with what is there..might regret that....but the car has not been standing..so should be ok..

Anyway...These are the sellers I looked recently...
Mespiecesauto (turbo I think)
Mecaparts (think all)
Simonauto (all)
Gbsalpine (310 iirc)
Classicsiliconehoses (atmo)

If it is just a single..try renault...or Steve even....
..but Simon is very efficient..I'd probably use them.
the amalgamating tape is pretty good...the pipe at the back of the v on my atmo let go on a lemans trip...I think it was 2000 miles and 12 months before I replaced (I carried the spare from renault in the glovebox for a while) and even then it was probably not strictly necessary...but replaced for piece of mind..

JohnB did a write up on a thread recently his experiences on his 310.. I think some pipes were a bit out (from Simon I think).
User

johnb

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:57 pm

Cheshire

Postby johnb » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:53 pm

Dave Williams wrote:
JohnB did a write up on a thread recently his experiences on his 310.. I think some pipes were a bit out (from Simon I think).

Yes, I had a few problems with hoses from Simon but managed to work round them. I think when you own these special (to the UK) cars you have to expect some supply problems with supply sources that you just can't easily visit to deal with any problems.
This was the thread.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4819&start=135#p80330

As I said in that thread, you might not have any problems with their GTA kit.
no avatar
User

AndyClark

Rank

Non Member

Birmingham

Postby AndyClark » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:51 pm

Thanks, gents. Will pop into Renault and see if anything left. Failing that, I will see what you think of the Simon Auto ones and probably order the full set.
no avatar
User

gchristofi

Rank

Non Member

Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:50 am

Cambridgeshire

Postby gchristofi » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:44 pm

My GTA turbo hose set arrived from Simon Auto today. Payment sent Friday midday, arrived with me Wed morning so pretty happy with that service. Have fitted the main engine bay hoses today without issue and the hoses do seem well made. Only used 4 or the 16 in the set thus far though so can't comment on the remainder.

BTW, I bought something else too and managed to get a small discount and free postage so it's always worth asking the question of Andreas.

Cheers
There are 10 types of people in this world; those that understand binary and those that don't.
no avatar
User

AndyClark

Rank

Non Member

Birmingham

Postby AndyClark » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:31 pm

Thanks, I doubt Renault will have a full set - I will find out tomorrow, so should end up getting the Simon Auto set. I will ask Chris Rabbetts (Roadspeed) to fit them - he has worked on my GTA for the last 13 years.
no avatar
User

Alpineandy

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:37 am

North Essex

Postby Alpineandy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:50 pm

When I saw Chris 2 odd years back he said he was in the process of retiring.
Is he still working?
Alpine A110, Renault Safrane 2.5dt, Hudson Kindred Spirit (Renault powered), transAlp (Honda) and Ducati Multistrada
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:13 pm

I'll feedback quality

Not great apparently. On the last 610 set Mr Sage bought there were failures and fitment issues. No replacements were offered or received on complaint.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

AndyClark

Rank

Non Member

Birmingham

Postby AndyClark » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:44 pm

Yes, Chris is still in business and seems busy.

Picked up another 3 gallons of Type D from Renault Worcester at the weekend. Want to replace all the coolant again as the RAC man diltuted it with water. Coolant was only changed a few weeks ago!

That's a worry on the quality front for the hoses. Renault parts guy got the expanded parts diagram up and it didn't look all of the hoses were on it. Wonder if I dare just replace the failed hose and stick with the nearly all original others...
no avatar
User

AndyClark

Rank

Non Member

Birmingham

Postby AndyClark » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:49 pm

In the end Chris Rabbetts ordered and fitted the Simon Auto set (17 hoses). He fitted all of them except two heater hoses. It seemed it wasn't a straightforward job! The hoses are thicker and not all the same shape as the originals, particularly the two large ones at the top right of the engine bay. Part way through, he did have to order a set of insulators (look like a head gasket, but plastic) that fit between the inlet manifold and the engine - the originals had broken.

The car has only done one journey since then as it is garaged for the Winter now! Fingers crossed there are no issues with the quality of the hoses!
no avatar
User

AndyClark

Rank

Non Member

Birmingham

Postby AndyClark » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:29 pm

Hoses seem to be okay. Just two slight coolant weeps, now cured.

• Advertisement