paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Sat May 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Nottingham

Brake lines

Postby paulrob100 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:22 am

Hi Guys

As part of a winter check over, I am planning to replace the brake lines & hoses on my GTA. Having built kit cars in the past, I have the flaring tool to do the job. I am starting to get things together & I have a question. :thinking

Would you replace the lines with Kunifer, Copper or Stainless ? Is 3.5mm pipe ok & are the fittings 10mm ?

Also would you go for braided hoses ?

Thanks, Paul
La Plastique Fantastique :GTA
User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:13 am

Re: Brake lines

Postby turbell » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:37 pm

My only issue Kunifer is it tends to harden when you bend it, so its less forgiving if you want to change the form, one bend great....but whoops, need to change it and its gone stiff..... or at least that's the experience I had when I did a Fuego fuel pipe in it twenty plus years ago.
I've used copper ever since, but am starting to be concerned how flimsy it seems lately.

Access as ever is also an issue on the GTA without a lift you're not going to have a ball, as one rear goes over the 'box and the fronts start under the tank, with one passing from the O/S to the N/S behind the rad, not an issue if you're stripped out for other work but as a stand alone task......not a mornings work on the drive with plenty of tea/fag breaks.

Defo go with some braided goodridges, far better feel, cheap as chips for a set, makes the job a bit less stressful.

If you're concerned about the long central runs, as it's usually where they clip in that they are worse, I've used joins before, just replace the nasty section and put a join in somewhere out of the way, there's not detriment to performance so why piddle your pants over it? If ever the car has more major surgery, by all means go full end to end when access is better.

Good Luck!
Better a penniless free man, than a rich prisoner
User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Sat May 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Nottingham

Re: Brake lines

Postby paulrob100 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:48 pm

Thanks for the advice. It will probably end up as a repair where necessary job. I haven't had a chance to give all the brake pipes a thorough check over. I know that it had an MOT advisory on the brake pipes for corrosion. This would seem to be the easily visible runs down the car. I have already replaced the rear discs & rebuilt the rear calipers. The fronts are on the cards for the same treatment. It will be lots of fun due to the restricted access but I do want it to be right.

Paul
La Plastique Fantastique :GTA

• Advertisement