r5gordini

Rank

Non Member

Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:13 pm

G10 PRV - A610 Turbo

Postby r5gordini » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:43 pm

See here:

http://www.renaultalpine.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7792

Very excited about my new purchase of Phildini's A610!

It does have a few issues - I'm not really in a position to do much about them at the moment due to a lack of time (and the fact that I wasn't planning to purchase a 610 at present). I do want to enjoy it but when it starts to give some issues (note I said when, not if), I may have to put it away for a bit...

Here's the list of issues uncovered so far:

Some bodywork problems. There's a diagonal line in the bonnet. Cracks at the front of the bonnet. Crazing on the driver's side front wing.

1448201150422.jpg

1448201137074.jpg

Otherwise, it does look solid underneath but I am not really sure what to look for and how to check the central backbone, wheelarches and sills (which I understand can be an issue).

It is not very easy to start, particularly when cold - not sure why. It does fast idle when cold.

It feels like it is misfiring at idle. Is that normal? It misfired quite badly on the test drive but after the long drive home the misfire has gone. It hadn't been run for some time and I noticed the top coolant bleed screw was leaking onto an HT lead. I have tweaked it shut and think it's now dry.

The clutch judders. Is that normal? Doesn't happen all the time

Brakes feel spongy. Is that normal?

On full beam the headlights seem to illuminate the treetops!

The bonnet keeps opening. I think things need adjusting but I have no idea if the pins in the bonnet need to be made longer or if they need to be shorter. When I push the lever down, I can't feel a positive click indicating it's locked in position. Not sure if I should feel that or not

Right-hand switch panel on the dashboard is broken. If you push the switches in, they almost disappear into the dash!

No headlining (at all)

Aircon in the middle of refitting. I would like aircon!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Re: G10 PRV - A610 Turbo

Postby Custard » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:39 pm

Congratulations on your purchase, sounds like it hasn't been driven for a while before you start taking it apart I would drive around for a bit and see how it settles down, could be stale petrol put some fresh petrol in and some injector cleaner. It's hard to find a 610 without some sort of paint blemishe. The brakes might come back to life with a bit of use, With regard to the rot I would take it to someone Who knows about 610s as you have to get a camera to check out a lot of it as it's all enclosed. :Cheer
User

r5gordini

Rank

Non Member

Postby r5gordini » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:01 pm

Thanks! I think Phildini checked it out rust-wise, but I'd like to know for myself.

I have booked it in to my favourite garage to get them to check the brakes.

Any tips on adjusting the bonnet securing mechanism?

Andrew
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Postby Custard » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:47 pm

If you intend to keep the car then I would try and get a work shop manual, as all that stuf is all in there some one on hear will have one.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:21 pm

The car was stored inside for a very long time so has a good chance of being rot free.

You can adjust the length of the L shaped brackets that are pulled down by the wheels that lock the bonnet. Try it without the rubber seals too to see if they are causing an issue.

I'm assuming the issue is at the windscreen end. If at the leading edge you will need to try and adjust the hinges.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

phildini

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:00 am

Epsom Surrey/ Venezia Italy

Postby phildini » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:16 am

It is not very easy to start, particularly when cold - not sure why. It does fast idle when cold.( ALWAYS STARTED WHEN COLD WITH OUT ANY PROBLEMS, CHECK YOUR DIZZY, BEEN SITTING OUTSIDE IN THE COLD AND WET FOR A FEW MONTHS )

It feels like it is misfiring at idle. Is that normal? It misfired quite badly on the test drive but after the long drive home the misfire has gone. It hadn't been run for some time and I noticed the top coolant bleed screw was leaking onto an HT lead. I have tweaked it shut and think it's now dry. ( CHECK YOUR DIZZY )

The clutch judders. Is that normal? Doesn't happen all the time ( NOT BEEN USED SINCE AUG, AND IT'S ONLY COVERED 500 MILES ON NEW CLUTCH IF THAT )

Brakes feel spongy. Is that normal? ( JUST GIVE THEM A BLEED, THEY WILL BE FINE )

On full beam the headlights seem to illuminate the treetops! ( SORRY, I STARTED TO TRY AND FIT THOSE "L" SHAPE BRACKETS AND NEVER FINISHED, MIGHT HAVE SCREWED UP THE BEAM PATTERN )

The bonnet keeps opening. I think things need adjusting but I have no idea if the pins in the bonnet need to be made longer or if they need to be shorter. When I push the lever down, I can't feel a positive click indicating it's locked in position. Not sure if I should feel that or not ( THE SEAL WAS NEW AND WITH COLD WEATHER IT GETS HARD, ALSO WHEN I PARKED IT I LEFT THE BONNET OPEN WHICH DID NOT HELP THE SETTLING OF THE RUBBER )

Right-hand switch panel on the dashboard is broken. If you push the switches in, they almost disappear into the dash! ( JUST TWO STUPID SCREWS HOLDING IT IN PLACE, MAY HAVE COME UNDONE, SWITCH PANEL WORKS FINE )

No headlining (at all) ( EBAY, GREY HEADLINING AND TWO CANS OF ADHESIVE, DO IT IN WARM WEATHER )

Aircon in the middle of refitting. I would like aircon!

Over and out...... I am now Jumping from the frying pan into the fire....... Thank you and good night!!
84 R5 Le Car2 Turbo, 95 Clio 16V mk1, 68 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV, 99 Mitsubishi Evo VI, 06 Porsche Boxster, 11 Lotus Evora S
User

The Saint

Rank

Administrator

Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:55 am

Rugby Warwickshire

Postby The Saint » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:33 am

Welcome to the world of the A610...
I agree with the comments about the paint on these cars... My A610 has been in the paint shop for getting on a year now...
( It is a job that fills in during the quiet times.. so no rush ) but the guy doing it has had a nightmare sorting the finish and most of the gel coat and fiber glass issues.. so don't think yours is the only one. As said, We doubt there is a perfect one out there!!
As Mr Dini said, check the dizzy cap and rotor, this sorted my issues.
Just stick with it. these cars are all about love and passion. Yes they will kick you in the nuts, but on an odd day they are a pleasure... ( Like most "other halfs")
Just love it....
Vince..

:A610
The Saint.
Blue A610,
Black Smart Roadster.
SmartEDElectric Drive
User

mellowyellowa610

Rank

Non Member

Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:02 pm

Chester, Cheshire

Postby mellowyellowa610 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:30 am

Paint does seem to be a challenge to get right on the A610. I'm still very impressed with the job the guy did on mine (it still looks as good today as the day I picked it up from the paint shop 6 years ago) but it did take him a while and he had a few issues along the way. I see a lot of re-sprays in my job but I'm yet to see one done as good as my 610. There is sinkage on the roof (at the front and at the rear) but every A610 I have seen has that in the same place. Unfortunately, black is a nightmare colour on any car.

As the other guys say, the dizzy and rotor arm are almost yearly items to check and clean/replace. Also worth throwing a new set of plugs in if Dini hasn't changed them recently. My engine starts without issue and runs without misfires. They are a bit of a 'lumpy' engine at idle.

The clutch is known to judder. Mine is actually perfect but every other 610 I have been in judders. I have heard of an owner replacing the clutch 3 times to try and solve it (unsuccessfully).

The brakes aren't great as it is a 25 year old system. But a bleed of the system should help and possibly new pads if they have haven't been changed. I was never impressed with the brakes on my car and ended up replacing with 4 piston calipers front and rear with bigger discs and braided hoses. I now don't think about the brakes which is the biggest compliment as I used to fear for my life at times. Still, the OE system is somewhat better than the standard system on Esprit's of the same era which are truly scary.

As for the switches, check out my thread here and be ultra careful with them when you go in to fix them.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4203

I'm with Vince though, on the right day and the right road, these cars are magical and I truly adore mine.
User

r5gordini

Rank

Non Member

Postby r5gordini » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:42 am

Thanks Guys!

Especially to Phildini for selling me his much-loved car. And also for the answer to all my queries - don't worry - I am delighted with the car and don't expect it to be issue free!

I have got it booked into my fave garage to get them to bleed the brakes tomorrow and check out a couple of other things.

Will report back.

I am also taking it gently in the car as I get used to the rear engined layout. I have driven RWD cars without traction control lots before including a V12 E-Type, Granada Scorpio Cosworth, Turbo 2, but each has its characteristics and limits.
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:55 pm

My old 610 didn't have clutch judder(but they are heavy) you might want to check the engine mounts. I also found it quick and reliable at starting, after the obligatory new distributor cap and arm.
Paint....they are all like that..mine even had a similar line in the bonnet.
Brakes, I'd agree, Oem set up doesn't work well compared to modern car, upgrades are available.
Aircon is also marginal when running on newer gases...they were designed for r30, not available, and need a bigger radiator to work well on the new gas. You can't see that modification and I wish I had done it to mine, not Oem, but invisible and reversible if needed.
They are great cars, especially on rough roads where they are very capable and not upset by potholes.
Phildinis car should be one of the safer bets for rust too.
Enjoy....
User

mellowyellowa610

Rank

Non Member

Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:02 pm

Chester, Cheshire

Postby mellowyellowa610 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:44 am

Definitely check the engine and gearbox mounts as this is a common cause of the problem on Esprit's so I presume it would be the same on the Alpine.

mettersl wrote:My old 610 didn't have clutch judder(but they are heavy) you might want to check the engine mounts. I also found it quick and reliable at starting, after the obligatory new distributor cap and arm.
Paint....they are all like that..mine even had a similar line in the bonnet.
Brakes, I'd agree, Oem set up doesn't work well compared to modern car, upgrades are available.
Aircon is also marginal when running on newer gases...they were designed for r30, not available, and need a bigger radiator to work well on the new gas. You can't see that modification and I wish I had done it to mine, not Oem, but invisible and reversible if needed.
They are great cars, especially on rough roads where they are very capable and not upset by potholes.
Phildinis car should be one of the safer bets for rust too.
Enjoy....

• Advertisement