User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Sat May 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Nottingham

GTA Jacking & axle stands

Postby paulrob100 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:47 pm

I would like to get the front of my GTA off the ground so I can dismantle the front suspension to clean & paint it.

What is the best way to firstly lift it, & secondly support it? As there are no jacking points at the front of the sills is it ok to jack under the front frame rails ? I have 2 small trolley jacks & some fairly high axle stands. Obviously I don't want to damage / twist anything.

Thanks Paul
La Plastique Fantastique :GTA
User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:13 am

Re: GTA Jacking & axle stands

Postby turbell » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:30 am

I jack mine on the rail directly under the vertical strut about where the forward lower wishbone fixing is, so you're jacking up against the vertical box section, then axle stands on the same box section but where it joins onto the two fluted triangles that the rear lower wishbone mount is.
This should give you access to everything, use a short length of two by one to spread the load a bit. If you are going as high as you can with stands I'd put the rear wheels on some blocks to keep you a bit more level, then there is less chance of anything slipping at the front.
Get the wishbones blasted, it makes life much easier and they are tough enough, then either have them coated ( only if you trust who is doing it ) or etch and paint them.
Hopefully a full front end refresh is my next job on mine, but having had a mare stripping the rear and speaking to Clee about it the front can be as painful, so I am going to taking a deep breath before heading in !
Better a penniless free man, than a rich prisoner
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:46 am

Yes ,front can be a bit of a biatch to strip down .Be prepared for casualties .
Long bolt in lower wishbone can be seized and needs impact gun and someone hitting the fecker from inside the cabin to move it ...sometimes even that doesn't work and you'll end up have to get the slitting disc out .
Shocker screws into the top arm bush and cannot be unscrewed in-situ .You need to take it off as an assembly and unscrew on the bench ...well I say unscrew...what I really mean is twat it with a big hammer to get it to move ...

RATS carry new and top quality recycled items for all eventualities although one side lower wishbone is very hard to get hold of new .I've just used my last pair .I do have top arms x6 and the other side lower x3 in stock though .
Budget on £3/400 for used items,with new balljoints ,and £600+ for all new Renault .Also bush is about £40 and the long bolt ....I have none spare .
I would also take a good look at the arb droplink .These can be very worn .Also steering rod end very easy to damage ,can be quite worn and they are unique and costly at about £60 each.
User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Sat May 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Nottingham

Postby paulrob100 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:06 pm

Thanks guys. Like everything GTA I suspected it might be more difficult than it looks. On the basis that everything under the car has been covered in under seal at some point, I thought this would be a logical place to start & refurb / freshen things up.
La Plastique Fantastique :GTA

• Advertisement