User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Re: New Member, Introducing my Project GTA

Postby JohnC » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:38 pm

This pic may help you, its for the 1987 Turbo.
Item 164 is the main fuel pump mounted where BIG_MVS has posted, and item 190 is the primer pump mounted by the fuel tank.
Item 493 is the Fuel Pump Relay which is controlled by the ECU. Note that as the two fuel pumps are wired in parallel, they will both operate together even when priming.

1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
User

patch

Rank

Non Member

Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:43 pm

Essex

Postby patch » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:00 pm

Thanks John. I did measure the voltage at the ECU relay and the load side dropped down to about 9v which looks like the pump might be stuck. I also hear a small knock from the rear pump area (although I've still yet to identify the pump!) so this again would point to it being stuck. Not really heard anything at all from the front.

And thanks for your msg Martin, I'll take you up on your offer soon.

Thank you
1987 GTA V6 Turbo
Daily ride 530D M Sport Plus X Drive
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:06 am

Pumps ...sounds like both are kaput .
LHS front under tray is the lifter pump that feeds the rear .RHS rear wheel arch for the main high pressure pump .If you can hear relays clicking then they should both be getting power .If not it's down to bad connections .Also check connection at alternator as this is earth direct to rear pump .
Disconnect ECU then put power to the pumps direct to test.
User

patch

Rank

Non Member

Essex

Postby patch » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Right, wallet taken a bashing and ordered new pumps. Walbro rear and Facet front from Glencoe Ltd. Suppressor on order from BIG_MVS, thanks Martin. Next visit to her on Saturday, hopefully with a box of bits to fix (well the fuel issue at least!)
1987 GTA V6 Turbo
User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Sat May 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Nottingham

Postby paulrob100 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:25 pm

Take a good selection of 17, 19 & 21 mm spanners for the rear pump, and some Plus gas or WD40.Its hidden in a plastic cover next to the o/s wheel arch & the unions will probably be seized. I would definitely recommend replacing the filters while you are on. The rear is the same as a Porsche 928. I got mine from Euro Car Parts. It is a Mann, part no. 503330039, £15. The front is the same as a Fram G12 - 1. Just over £8 on Amazon ! You will need the car jacked up to do both. The Walbro pump is a worthwhile upgrade. Have fun !

Paul
La Plastique Fantastique :GTA
User

patch

Rank

Non Member

Essex

Postby patch » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:33 pm

Thanks Paul, already had rear filter on order, didn't know there was a front one so Fram one ordered. Thanks for the heads up.
1987 GTA V6 Turbo
User

patch

Rank

Non Member

Essex

Postby patch » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:42 pm

Well a well overdue update....

My romantic idea of popping down to Surrey when I coudl and getting her sorted bit by bit has failed, contantly having to stop because I don't have everything I hord in my own garage for repairs has left me feeling frustrated. And when I found the clutch was gone thatt was the last straw.

So...... RATS to the rescue and a possible house re-mortgage :-) Just waiting for a date in his very busy diary but looking forward to Lee to working his magic. Watch this space :-) :RATS2
1987 GTA V6 Turbo
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:59 pm

Good choice, more expensive than DIY but has the advantage he has the parts, knowledge and experience( and compared to the South East he's better value).
User

patch

Rank

Non Member

Essex

Postby patch » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:54 pm

Countdown.... Firmly booked in for the 9th of April after much badgering. Sorry Lee :-)
1987 GTA V6 Turbo
User

patch

Rank

Non Member

Essex

Postby patch » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:22 pm

Big day for the GTA, 6hr round trip for me but well worth it. Finally taking up space in Lee's unit (i'm sure he's happy about it but it's hard to tell :-D) and looking good. Feeling great about leaving her in such experienced hands.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1987 GTA V6 Turbo
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:39 pm

Ecstatic I am ;)
No more in for a while now ...get some out is the new radical plan .....Paul has bought well,very nice original car with little rot,good paint and general condition .It's sat for 10 + years so a few issues and probably more when it fires up and gets warm ..... but nothing major so far with the underside looking in very solid order.
Clutch,water pipes,brakes,rub down running gear and rust eater it ...full service,then in for MOT .Use and abuse for a couple of months,see what fails after wake up,then back in the Winter for more in depth fettling ?
User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:13 am

Postby turbell » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:32 am

I was at Rats when this car turned up, and it's a beaut, I made a tongue in cheek cash offer straight off!
It's arrow straight, with shut lines you can just fit a fifty pence piece in ( sideways!), doors you can push shut with a finger and a good amount of the original coatings still in place on most of the underside.

True, there are some issues to resolve but if anyone wants to know what a straight original Gta Turbo should look like this is it, I'm very biased, of course, but a largely standard, nice Turbo with leather and no other extras is the pick of the crop, pound for pound..................like I say not biased at all!

A light, measured touch on this car and it will be in the top quarter of cars without doubt, a credit to it's previous owner, you can see it was a much loved car and I look forward to seeing it awake from it's near thirteen year slumber.
Better a penniless free man, than a rich prisoner
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:27 pm

https://www.facebook.com/RenaultAlpineTuningServices/videos/1191186544226108/

Running now and looks OK so far.Fuel system needs an overhaul but new pumps front and rear got her going without much fuss :up
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Mon May 09, 2016 3:49 pm

MOT passed with no advisories .Shakedown as my daily driver for a couple of days and then she can go home :up Clutch feels absolutely fine and no water leaks,fans cut in etc so new plan is for Paul to use her over the Summer and see how it goes .Poss back over Winter but seems a shame to touch it atm as it's all just so OE .....
Drives great,all gauges in the good,nice and tight and pulls well with zero rattles.One of the best I've had in ever :GTA

If only we could get a new pass side mirror then all would be just perfect ...I foolishly sent a box full back South ...they seem to have vanished into the mystical containers of Delldor,never again to see the light of a new Alpine rising .. :Ass_Kick

WP_20160509_003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Sat May 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Nottingham

Postby paulrob100 » Mon May 09, 2016 6:52 pm

Looks really tidy. Well bought Patch & well fettled Lee :Cheer Look forward to seeing it sometime

Paul
La Plastique Fantastique :GTA
PreviousNext

• Advertisement