Moderators: eastlmark, BIG_MVS, Test Moderator

User

davidmt

Rank

Non Member

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:59 pm

Steering wheel refresh

Postby davidmt » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:21 pm

Spider has now gone on European holiday so bored and filling the time. It was bought with a shiny boring wheel.

IMG_2941.JPG

Sent off for a refresh - quite like alcantara so went for this design.

IMG_3079.JPG

Then decided I quite liked the idea of a quick release. I had a spare from my Cobra - an NRG 2.5 and with the horn/electrics removed easily covered the metal adapter at the back of the wheel.

Have just had it recovered I therefore decided to start drilling it!

IMG_3129.JPG

Yes - I got one hole slightly out - I may widen the hole in due course but I am sure 5 bolts will be more than adequate. All holes are at the back of the wheel so complete unseen and therefore reversible. Just had to trim some of the internal rubber.

NRG adapter bolted on.

IMG_2941.JPG

IMG_3128.JPG

Now the NRG adapter needs to secure to the other side of the quick release. So having sourced a Mk1 Clio wheel I removed the centre thinking I could lathe it down and bolt the adapter to centre but there was no real structure around the central spline sleeve so have given that to a friend to weld a backing plate to it.

Will update when that arrives back this week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

davidmt

Rank

Non Member

Re: Steering wheel refresh

Postby davidmt » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:10 pm

We now have the Clio spline weld to a custom backing plate which has been machine and drilled to match the other side of the quick release adapter.

IMG_3192.JPG

IMG_3193.JPG

Just need the car back now to put all together and test and see if I like the position or need to try the thinner quick release adapters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:57 am

Where did you send steering wheel off to for recovering, and how much?
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

davidmt

Rank

Non Member

Postby davidmt » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:33 am

simontaylor wrote:Where did you send steering wheel off to for recovering, and how much?

Jack at Royal Steering Wheels (http://royalsteeringwheels.com/. Cost was £130 + delivery.

He's a bit of a one man band but is well worth waiting for as it's a fantastic job. You can pick your own material and any style you want - even thumb grips if required. I had mine made slightly thicker for my fat hands.

• Advertisement