User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Sat May 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Nottingham

Gear linkage bush

Postby paulrob100 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:30 am

I think I can remember reading somewhere that the GTA gear linkage bush (the one at the gearbox end) is prone to collapsing & thus meaning a gear cannot be selected. Is this correct ? If so is it worth replacing the bush while I have the car off the ground. Mine seems to be ok but I would rather change it while I can, rather than be stranded if it fails. OR am I being paranoid ? :crazy

Paul
La Plastique Fantastique :GTA
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Re: Gear linkage bush

Postby JohnC » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:37 am

Paul, ..... as you are a Full member and have access to the RAOC Members Area, if you go to page 2, and scroll down, you will find a comprehensive explanation entitled "Gear Shift Bush Replacement" dated April 15th 2013. You might find that helpful. :up
If this bush has never been changed, you would be wise to do it whilst you have the chance .... they are not expensive and available from Renault ...... around £5 or thereabouts.
This info is only available to Full Members ....... non members can access this info by becoming Fully paid up members. :wave

John
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Nottingham

Postby paulrob100 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:02 pm

Thanks John, that's great. :up

Paul
no avatar
User

jgarriock

Rank

Non Member

Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:10 pm

Postby jgarriock » Mon May 21, 2018 7:29 pm

I've got the same issue - had my gearshift come completely loose from the linkage and now the car won't get in gear at all. I live in Canada, but I can call up Renault and order some bushings - do either of you know the part # or what I should ask for when I get in touch?

Thanks a lot!
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Tue May 22, 2018 6:36 am

I've got them in stock £5 + postage.
User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Nottingham

Postby paulrob100 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:08 pm

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

After talking about replacing the gear selector bush earlier in the year, of course I didn't do it :Douh

I have just been out for a run, less than two miles from home the gear lever went a bit loose. The lever moves in the 3rd / 4th plane but the car appears to be stuck in 3rd. It is not possible to select neutral or reverse. I managed to get the car back home.

Does this sound like the bush has failed. ?
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:07 pm

paulrob100 wrote: ........ Does this sound like the bush has failed. ?

Yep ....... does sound very much like it. :up
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:04 pm

paulrob100 wrote:Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

After talking about replacing the gear selector bush earlier in the year, of course I didn't do it :Douh

I have just been out for a run, less than two miles from home the gear lever went a bit loose. The lever moves in the 3rd / 4th plane but the car appears to be stuck in 3rd. It is not possible to select neutral or reverse. I managed to get the car back home.

Does this sound like the bush has failed. ?

Sounds exactly like it. Fairly straightforward diy fix if you read the notes. Make sure you use a genuine Renault bush as they are cheap enough. If you get a really hard one you can try softening it in boiling water first.

I’ve got a bush in the boot of the car in a Jiffy bag if you need one.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Nottingham

Postby paulrob100 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:21 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the offer Stephen, but I'm not desperate to get it fixed. I can order a couple (one for a spare) & get it fixed before the weather improves & the MOT is due.

Have a good new year
User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Nottingham

Postby paulrob100 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:11 pm

I ordered a genuine Renault bush as advised & managed to jack the car up high enough to put ramps under the back wheels, as in Johns photos. As my car is lowered I didn't have much room, but enough to check things out. Sure enough, the gear linkage rod had come off the bush. With a bit of fiddling, I got the operating lever off the car & removed the old bush. With a bit of grease, the new one went on easily with the use of a vice.

Eventually, I got the operating lever back on the car, Access is very limited & it took quite a few attempts. Anyway, the issue now is how to get the rod onto the bush. It doesn't look as though there is enough room to get a mastic gun in there. I do have a small G clamp but as John says the T bar fouls. My clamp has a round shank so I will have to grind some flats on it to take a small socket.

My main problem is that the bush is not sitting square to the rod, Is this normal ?. I note that John left the bolt on the operating lever loose while he did this part of the work. I am just a bit worried that something is bent .
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

London

Postby stephendell » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:33 pm

Did you check your balls when the linkage was all apart? If they are the black rubber type and haven’t been changed previously they could be disintegrating. Worth changing for nylon if you haven’t put it back together yet. Will improve the gear change if they were previously worn.

Search for thread by I think Paul Goldmsith. I’ll look for it too.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

London

Postby stephendell » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:36 pm

User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Nottingham

Postby paulrob100 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:51 pm

Thanks Stephen

The ball on the lever looks to be ok. I am away for a few days now, so ill have another go when I get back. The old bush was the rubber type but the new one (Renault) is nylon. I'm sure its just a question of getting everything lined up square. Easier said than done .
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:23 pm

paulrob100 wrote:I ordered a genuine Renault bush as advised & managed to jack the car up high enough to put ramps under the back wheels, as in Johns photos.

Paul ....... I also had the front wheels on 6 inch blocks which helps.
My clamp has a round shank so I will have to grind some flats on it to take a small socket.

I used a file ..... you wont have to take off too much metal to get a small socket to fit ........ a grinder could be too aggressive.
PS ..... When filing the flats for the socket, make it an interference fit so you have to tap it on........ This will mean that once in place, the socket and quarter inch extension bar plus "T" bar or ratchet, won't fall off if you you have to take your hand off it for a little adjustment elsewhere. :up
My main problem is that the bush is not sitting square to the rod, Is this normal ?. I note that John left the bolt on the operating lever loose while he did this part of the work. I am just a bit worried that something is bent .

Very unlikely that the rod is bent, once the bush is pressed into the rod, it will all be inline. ......... You will find that keeping the bolt on the operating lever but loose, will act as a third hand and with the spare hand you can hold the rod and bush in line whilst you operate the clamp. It is fiddly, but you will get there. :up
User

pgoldsmith

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:14 pm

West Moors, Dorset

Postby pgoldsmith » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:41 pm

Paul, call me on 07738391302 and I'll tell you what I had to do. (As it's easier to explain than to compose here)
It was a real pain for me and hindsight is a wonderful thing.
GTA Turbo 1991 - Stratos blue
Next

• Advertisement