no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Gta ATMO Le Mans project

Postby Custard » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:59 am

Well I am going to start the transformation of my Gta, the temperature is now right for good resin bonding for panales and general fibreglassing, and now it is the Hollidays the phone has stopped ringing. To get the enthusiasm to get on with it I am trying to finalise the paint colour as it is a copy I am not going with the original spec. Thinking matalic white with Crome and black wheels or blue or the vivid renault matalic red or open to uther combinations.
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Re: Gta ATMO Le Mans project

Postby simontaylor » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:24 pm

How about Custard Yellow?
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:52 pm

A610 evolution, think a610 with Le Mans extensions, looks fab in juice yellow, so I'd go with the custard idea, but not so much the standard yellow...
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Postby Custard » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:14 pm

Yes that car looked amazing is that the same colour that was used on the V6 Clio. What I'm thinking about is ease of repair scratch stone chip as I use this car all the time it's not going to sit in the garage. However I suppose I could put that anti stone chip clear covering on prime areas, back in the 80s my old TR6 was mimosa yellow looked good and was easily re-sprayed, which was required regularly because of the appalling chassis twist used to crack all the joints on the rear deck all the time. Red is a bad colour for fading, Black is one of the hardest colours to match, I was also thinking about alpine blue nonmetallic plus I always thought the Alpine look good in white.
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Postby Custard » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:20 pm

Well I think you're right I found a picture of the car it has to be the Le Mans Version
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Postby Custard » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:14 pm

Well before I can get to the above pic a lot of hard work has to happen.
I managed to find a very late even fire renault engine 1997 complete out of a mk3 Espace, the actual engine code is not listed in the book but it was defiantly a Prv so I took the gamble.
Well I have now got it apart and it is in v good shape, however on taking the heads of there was a limited time left befor the head gaskets went, there is no sludge around the liners but the head gasket has disintegrated just leaving the fire rings and seal around the block.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:50 pm

So Custard,,
You are going even fire, and I guess Injected too (best for power with drive ability low down) with an aftermarket ecu you can even play with advance curves simply (as well as lots of other stuff) mr Faulkes should be your friend with this one if you want a great engine in the end.
Seems the 3.0 heads flow well with larger valves as std, unless you are planning a mix and match with the old atmo engine?
Will be interesting to see your progress.
Looks like your evenfire engine was close to damage with that rotted gasket but should be a good basis for a quick car,
Cheers
Lee
no avatar
User

Alpineandy

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:37 am

North Essex

Postby Alpineandy » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:11 pm

Custard wrote:I'm thinking about is ease of repair scratch stone chip as I use this car all the time.

I saw an Audi turbo nutter wagon the other day at a local event.
It was Spider liquid Yellow but Satin effect, so I'd guess it was a 'Wrap' job.
Looked very nice.
Have you considered that as I believe it's quite chip resistant... (but I know nothing about it! :D )
Alpine A110, Renault Safrane 2.5dt, Hudson Kindred Spirit (Renault powered), transAlp (Honda) and Ducati Multistrada
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Postby Custard » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:42 am

Well at the moment everything in the engine seems to be immaculate not a mark on a cam or rocker and what's nice is everything just seems to come apart nothing is seized all the aluminium is in good nick, yes at the moment I seem to be going down the even fire route, however the old fire is running incredibly well, It is a very simple set up and light even though the final timing hasn't been sorted the rapid engine response is very addictive when driving on the winding roads.
Yes it would be nice to get some assistance on how to get the best out of this engine, but I am hoping that with a modern ECU that this engine will be as responsive as the Atmo.
The cylinder head gasket surprise me as I've never seen an actual head gasket disintegrate because of age, so if your engine is nearly 20 years old even though your engine might be running fine the chances are your head gasket could be in poor shape.
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:25 pm

Like Turbos, ECUs have moved on in BIG steps in the last 20-30 years, since GTA was first manufactured.
Go for a modern aftermarket ECU.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:22 pm

Never seen a gasket do that ....even on lumps 15 years older ..got to be something in the water or really really shit gaskets
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Postby Custard » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:51 pm

Definitely all original equipment this is the first time this engine has been apart.
Having the car wrapped as per the earlier post is an option you are then not worried about the paint work, as this car is going to get used a lot.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:35 pm

simontaylor wrote:Like Turbos, ECUs have moved on in BIG steps in the last 20-30 years, since GTA was first manufactured.
Go for a modern aftermarket ECU.

Yeh but ...I've yet to see a UK GTA that outperforms one of the old tech units MoFo and RATS have thrown together over the years ....
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Postby Custard » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:24 pm

Well a good day today decided at the last minute to go to Beaulieu auto jumble, which is a really good event you also get access to the museum for your £15 this is a massive event I had no idea.
Well you're never guess what the wife went off and found the holy Grail set of Le Mans wheels but decided just to buy what's below Who needs the wheels
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:43 pm

Go back tomorrow and get the wheels!!!!
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)

• Advertisement