alan4693

Rank

Non Member

Wed May 12, 2010 12:53 pm

Cheshire, UK

Recommisioning GTA atmo

Postby alan4693 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:53 pm

Alpine.jpg

My 1989 atmo has been off road for 10 years now following failure of the drivers door hinges (the passenger door hinges were replaced by my local garage ten years ago but when the second door failed I didn't have the nerve to ask them again knowing what a b*****d of a job it was!) Unfortunately despite being regularly inspected and cleaned etc damp and ingress of water through the insecure door cause corrosion in the foot wells and bulkhead and it is only now that I, with the encouragement of enthusiastic son have set about repair work. The pedal bracket was corroded and seized but courtesy of Big MVS I now have a replacement. The new metalwork is being undertaken by my local garage. We were going to do this ourselves as we have a well equipped garage and equipment but without a ramp number mechanic son has decided to farm this work out. The rear of the car is fine having been inspected for MOT test so with new brakes having now been acquired, and a set of new dampers we expect to get back on the road fairly shortly. That of course is after we do the hinge repair. We have drilled out the remains of the pin in the door frame side and we are drilling out the door side pin in situ using cobalt drill bits and a right angle drill. We expect to have to sleeve the resultant hole, but another friend has a machine shop and is to turn these new parts for me.

Alan4693
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Re: Recommisioning GTA atmo

Postby BIG_MVS » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:33 pm

Well done Alan (and Son) for getting things moving again.

It looks like a cracker of a GTA. Hope to see it on the roads of Cheshire again soon.
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

phildini

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:00 am

Epsom Surrey/ Venezia Italy

Postby phildini » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:34 am

Yellow GTA :up and a Jag, great choice :up
84 R5 Le Car2 Turbo, 95 Clio 16V mk1, 68 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV, 99 Mitsubishi Evo VI, 06 Porsche Boxster, 11 Lotus Evora S
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:31 am

Silver GTA and Jag here in the South.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

phildini

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:00 am

Epsom Surrey/ Venezia Italy

Postby phildini » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:36 am

I am currently hunting around for a XJ Jag or Daimler, just in case somebody has one for sale.
84 R5 Le Car2 Turbo, 95 Clio 16V mk1, 68 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV, 99 Mitsubishi Evo VI, 06 Porsche Boxster, 11 Lotus Evora S
User

mellowyellowa610

Rank

Non Member

Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:02 pm

Chester, Cheshire

Postby mellowyellowa610 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:16 am

Looks great. Will be nice to see another yellow Alpine back on the streets soon. :up

alan4693 wrote:
Alpine.jpg

My 1989 atmo has been off road for 10 years now following failure of the drivers door hinges (the passenger door hinges were replaced by my local garage ten years ago but when the second door failed I didn't have the nerve to ask them again knowing what a b*****d of a job it was!) Unfortunately despite being regularly inspected and cleaned etc damp and ingress of water through the insecure door cause corrosion in the foot wells and bulkhead and it is only now that I, with the encouragement of enthusiastic son have set about repair work. The pedal bracket was corroded and seized but courtesy of Big MVS I now have a replacement. The new metalwork is being undertaken by my local garage. We were going to do this ourselves as we have a well equipped garage and equipment but without a ramp number mechanic son has decided to farm this work out. The rear of the car is fine having been inspected for MOT test so with new brakes having now been acquired, and a set of new dampers we expect to get back on the road fairly shortly. That of course is after we do the hinge repair. We have drilled out the remains of the pin in the door frame side and we are drilling out the door side pin in situ using cobalt drill bits and a right angle drill. We expect to have to sleeve the resultant hole, but another friend has a machine shop and is to turn these new parts for me.

Alan4693

• Advertisement