User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Sat May 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Nottingham

Battery Isolater

Postby paulrob100 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:43 pm

I am thinking about fitting a battery isolator (cut-out) switch to my GTA for when its not being used regularly. Has anyone done this ? I am a bit concerned about the ECU being damaged by the battery being regularly disconnected & connected. Also, where is the best location for an isolator ?

I use an Optimate type charger / conditioner but I don't like it being left on if we are away from home.
La Plastique Fantastique :GTA
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Re: Battery Isolater

Postby JohnC » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:42 pm

Paul ...... Has your Alp not been fitted with an "Overcenter, Flip Off Negative Battery Connector" ? MY Alp came fitted with one as OE.
All you have to do is open the bonnet, flip up the Battery Cover, and disconnect the connector ...... no tools required.
The ECU should not be affected by doing this as there is no caution mentioned in the manuals about disconnecting the battery.

John
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:01 pm

ECU will be fine .You might get annoyed with any alarm etc when reconnecting.
A610 has this fitted as std on a bracket on the LHS turret .Probably to make life easier when messing with electrics as the batt lives in nose/wheelarch ..Has recharge/jump pillars and iso switch on the pos,see bottom left below.
Only issue would be if you ever used it as a kill switch,then you would need alternator protection which is just a resistor .
WP_20161107_007.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Nottingham

Postby paulrob100 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:05 pm

Thanks John & Lee. My car does not have the flip off battery terminal, seems simple, but the + terminal is hidden slightly under the scuttle. I know I could put one on the - terminal, but would prefer not to.
I was thinking about mounting the isolator on a bracket attached to the inner wing panel, next to the bonnet switch, & have it poke through the thin plastic cover see photo. I will have to check for clearance etc. However it means butchering the cover which is in pretty good condition.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Paul - Just sent you a PM. The quick release is for the earth strap. Just fit one of these OE items and there is no need to cut about your car.
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:13 pm

It would mean a bit of a rewire/extension but could you not take it up to near the brake resi/lamps inspection cover ? No need to cut anything then .
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:15 pm

I hate those bloody earth quick release things,ones with the nice plastic covers .......OK most of the time except when you need to jump start etc then bloddy bollocking pain :up
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:30 pm

paulrob100 wrote: but the + terminal is hidden slightly under the scuttle.

Hey ..... Don't make this any more complicated than it has to be. You only need to disconnect one of the Battery terminals, and the Negative one is the easiest one to get to ...... just get a BLUE Quick release connector ( the BLUE one, because it is the right diameter for the negative battery pillar ) and replace the existing connector with it, and the job is done. Any other way is going to increase the length of cable which is the wrong thing to do, and introduce a switch which can develop a small resistance on the contacts over time which again, does not help. :down .
You will most probably have to buy a pair ... Red & Blue ... but just use the blue. See below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quick-Release ... 1319001655
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:39 pm

Yeh but live kill switch is cooler,proper race spec innit JC :up
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:43 pm

clee wrote:I hate those bloody earth quick release things,ones with the nice plastic covers .......OK most of the time except when you need to jump start etc then bloddy bollocking pain :up

No problem there ..... the Positive is bare, so no problem with that, but with the negative, just attach the clamp to any good earth point close to the battery ..... the bolts on the N/S turret springs to mind. ......... just remembered, ..... when using jump leads, you are instructed not to connect both of the clamps to the battery direct, as it could spark and if the failed battery is gassing, there could be a big BANG...... hence connect the negative clamp to another earth point.
I appreciate that nobody takes any notice of the that instruction (including me :shhh ) but that's why the instruction is there.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:48 pm

It's a GTA ....If you'd seen the state of the ones I'm needing to jump then perhaps you wouldn't rely on the 'Earth points' ......Gassing batteries,things that may go bang ? ....hey-ho another day in the office :D
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:50 pm

clee wrote:Yeh but live kill switch is cooler,proper race spec innit JC :up

Sorry ..... I was under the impression that it was a Battery Isolater that was required, not a Kill Switch ..... joking apart, disconnecting either terminal will do what Paul wants, its just that disconnecting the negative terminal is the easiest and that's what is OE for these Alps.
User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Nottingham

Postby paulrob100 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:56 pm

Thanks guys. quick release terminals ordered.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:57 pm

I don't think you ever joke JC .
Kill,isolate,unplug ...same meat different gravy.Various options are now available ...ya pays ya money :up

• Advertisement