Andrew
User

r5gordini

Rank

Non Member

Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:13 pm

Re: Standalone ECU Project A610

Postby r5gordini » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:27 pm

And now a question - although I am thinking of splitting questions out into another thread...

How close is too close to the turbo for the wideband O2 sensor? I've been reading they should be 18" from the turbo on other cars. The OE sensor is right up next to the turbo. I have a feeling that's going to kill it after a while due to too much heat.

Should I try it and see how long it lasts, or should I invest some money in getting it relocated further away?

Andrew
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Postby MFaulks » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:27 pm

What is it for, indication purposes only, or closed loop control?
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/maftecfaulks
User

r5gordini

Rank

Non Member

Postby r5gordini » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:13 am

Closed loop control.
User

r5gordini

Rank

Non Member

Postby r5gordini » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:54 am

And... thinking about injectors, what about these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-373ccm- ... 1eb59f3fe3

373cc/min, 12Ohms

I think the original A610 injectors are 330cc/min.

Andrew
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:53 pm

r5gordini wrote:And... thinking about injectors, what about these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-373ccm- ... 1eb59f3fe3

373cc/min, 12Ohms

I think the original A610 injectors are 330cc/min.

GTA injectors are 330cc too, so i am told. Also told that at 330cc they are pretty much maxed out to the limit.
I have upgraded mine to 440cc and GTA is running AdaptronicE420c nicely.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

r5gordini

Rank

Non Member

Postby r5gordini » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:38 pm

OK - do you think I'll run out of headroom with the 373cc/min ones? I calculate they should be good for nearly 350hp at 90% duty cycle. I have no idea what power output I can expect without modifying the engine. I'd like to run more boost than standard, but don't want to go way over the top for now.

They do seem the best value out there. I hadn't budgeted for changing the injectors so I'm trying to do it in a cost-effective way.

I'm rather nervous about buying these as an alternative. They appear too cheap:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6X-Green-Gian ... SwnbZYIYrG

But 63 sets have been sold, so I doubt they're too terrible!

Ho hum, decisions, decisions.

Andrew
User

r5gordini

Rank

Non Member

Postby r5gordini » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:53 pm

User

r5gordini

Rank

Non Member

Postby r5gordini » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:59 pm

Now I'm getting nervous about the physical fit of these various injectors! As far as I can see, most injectors are the same? I'll pull a fuel rail tonight and measure up the originals and compare the sizes of everything...
User

r5gordini

Rank

Non Member

Postby r5gordini » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:01 am

OK. I have done more research. I now know that the more I learn about injectors, the more there I to learn!

EV14 injectors seem to be the best kind available right now but I might have to buy adapters and there aren't many that are available under 550cc/min. I am concerned that injectors of this flow rate may be difficult to tune...

So, the best compromise I think is these EV6 ones:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291138455938

Not Bosch original but appear OK. Shame they have to come from Australia! It's actually possible to buy injectors from China or Hong Kong for about £60 for a set, but I think I am well advised to steer clear of such things, especially with something as critical as injectors! Though I always wonder if they are as bad as all that. I also wonder how they get away with continuing to sell them if they are indeed terrible!

Anyway, I digress. I now realise that my aim of allowing easy swap back to the OE ECU and loom isn't likely to be realised. There are just too many wires to join and the loom is too intertwined with everything else to be easily reinstated.

Now an update on actual progress: I have carefully removed the OE engine wiring from the loom. I have removed every single wire to the engine and associated sensors and controls, injectors, etc., etc. I have also removed the ECU plug. I carefully cut the wires near the base of the ECU plug. I left the wires that go to the rest of the car's loom with a few inches available so I can connect to them. I did the same with those that go to the relay board.

I didn't cut out the wires that go to the alternator, AC compressor and engine bay fans. My reasoning was that they don't carry signals for sensors and they all looked in good condition.

I labelled all loose ends with DYMO labels so that I know where to connect to when I build in the new wiring.

Oh and it seems I now have a deadline for the work!! My fiancee has suggested we use the car for our honeymoon in September! I think it will be tough to get it finished, mapped and reliable ahead of that but we shall see ;-)

Andrew
User

Miles

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:06 am

Hampshire

Postby Miles » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:32 am

I would check your alternator cable to starter?
This burnt out on mine at the solenoid and gave me lots of interesting electrical problems.
I have since replaced both alternator and starter cables in full, now the speedo is working fine too...
User

r5gordini

Rank

Non Member

Postby r5gordini » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:37 pm

Thanks! Good shout...

I'll take a look when I'm next under there.

Andrew
Last edited by r5gordini on Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

r5gordini

Rank

Non Member

Postby r5gordini » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:57 pm

A further update. These arrived today!

Coils from a Chevrolet LS1 or similar! Exciting because they can be triggered directly from low current/voltage. Giving the advantages that they can be triggered directly by the Megasquirt and they will introduce less electrical noise due to the low triggering current. And they are pretty powerful by all accounts. One coil per plug. I'll be setting them up in a wasted spark arrangement initially. Probably feed individual trigger wires through the bulkhead and just connect them to the ECU in pairs.

I'm thinking of mounting them where the original coil was:

But I am a bit worried about the strength of the shelf and whether it will support the new coils OK. I'm thinking of strengthening it above and below. The advantage is the packaging - I have loads of space... Will probably stack them on top of each other - two groups of three. Even the original HT leads will work (at a pinch), but will need to be rerouted. Could be messy to begin with.

It's getting a bit lonely posting updates without hearing responses!

I have another question... I dropped a bolt in the middle of the V. Ooops. I can't even see it to see where it went. Do I absolutely have to remove it, or can it stay there for ever more? Is removing the manifold a pain? I can see it's bolted to something by the turbo. How much has to come out from the turbo before I can remove the manifold? There's nothing left connected to the manifold any more so that bit's easy at least!

Still not decided which injectors to buy. The KnockTek knock sensor has arrived though, so that's good news.

I decided to remove the wiring that goes round the left-hand side of the engine bay. This is so that I can add the wires for triggering and powering the coils. The good news is that they'll travel a completely different route from the engine sensor wires, so that means less potential for electrical interference for the sensor signals as well. Interestingly enough, I was expecting the wires that run behind the turbo to be pretty crispy, but they appear fine! Everything's covered with the fine powder that was used when the car was soda-blasted during the previous owner's ownership. I got quite a lot out when I removed the loom!

Oh and the fiancee has told me she would definitely like to use the Alpine to go away in for our honeymoon. I guess I should count my blessings! Deadline September...

Andrew
User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:13 am

Postby turbell » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:22 pm

Fortune favours the brave....................and you're brave. :up

Keep it up, nice little project. I like your approach.
Good luck and carry on posting, there'll be plenty of people interested in your work.
Every days a school day.
Better a penniless free man, than a rich prisoner
User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:13 am

Postby turbell » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:33 pm

And I've dropped bolts in the vee before.....convinced myself they'll be Ok to leave .........but cowardy custarded it ......and spent a good while with a little Maglite and a cheapo set of mini grabby-thiny-me-do-da's off fleabay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-2ft-Long-R ... xyjxlTL2lU
Better a penniless free man, than a rich prisoner
PreviousNext

• Advertisement