User

LesC

Rank

Non Member

Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:04 pm

South Wales

Temperature warning light

Postby LesC » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:48 pm

Took the GTA for a blast today having lain idle for a month! A couple of miles from home the temp warning light came on although the gauge was sitting hapilly half way.
Drove home cautiously, checked the coolant level which was down a bit and I know I have a leak somewhere anyway. No change. Not convinced it was that anyway I twiddled the sensor (good technical term that!) And all was well again. Light went out. So it'll have to come off for a clean and spray with contact cleaner and see what happens then. Otherwise the sender is knackered and will have to be replaced.
Can you still get one?
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Re: Temperature warning light

Postby mettersl » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:08 am

Was that the engine bay temperature warning light? I don't remember an over temperature light for the water system.
If so, and it's a turbo, make sure that the engine bay fans were on too, if not, the sensors in front of the turbo box have got reversed...the parts book has them the wrong way around and a number of cars have had them swapped over. The workshop manual makes it clear.
The top sensor should be the lower temperature one and controls the fans, the bottom one is the engine bay temperature warning light and is the higher temperature setting.
Mini metro fan sensors can replace one of them if you can't find the right part.
User

LesC

Rank

Non Member

South Wales

Postby LesC » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:02 pm

It was the coolant temperature warning light and yes its a turbo.
I simply wiggled the socket on the sender at the pump and the light went out. I hope its no more than corrosion resistance in the socket but won't know until I unplug it.
Thanks for the info though. Certainly worth bearing in mind.
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:56 pm

I seem to remember reading in the workshop manual some where that there is water over temp light, some where too.

Nice one Lee, I see the Metro switch is rated at 96-88 degrees C and also a Nissan part too.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391217756189?clk_rvr_id=1163911114625&rmvSB=true
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

LesC

Rank

Non Member

South Wales

Postby LesC » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:39 pm

Good call both. Worth getting one anyway!
User

LesC

Rank

Non Member

South Wales

Postby LesC » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:49 pm

Ok. Here's an update. The temperature gauge switch on the RHS of the water pump also operates the temp warning light. Part no. 23 on the diagram. Mine is faulty and may be down to contacts as sometimes the gauge doesn't work unless I wiggle the plug or the warning light comes on, again until I wiggle the switch and it goes out. Temp gauge indicating around centre line so assume not running hot.

so I phoned my local Renault agent who say the part is available. p/n Temp Sensor 7700810880 but also requires a wiring kit p/n 7701070824.

Anybody come across this and is it likely that later changes/mods required this modification? Or is it a switch that's been adapted for use?

Simples thing to do I guess is buy the switch first and see what i get but it's thrown me a bit. :?

Any ideas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement