User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Sat May 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Nottingham

GTA Speedo

Postby paulrob100 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:18 pm

I am sure this has been discussed before, but I cant find any reference to it.

I have had my GTA out today & the car has been running fine
. On the way home, on an A road doing a steady 70. The speedo suddenly dropped to between 55 & 60, then slowly went back up to 70. Then did it again. It did this several times, before I turned off. It seemed to behave after that, but of course the speed of the car was varying.

Any thoughts ?
La Plastique Fantastique :GTA
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Re: GTA Speedo

Postby BIG_MVS » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:36 pm

They all do that Sir.
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:09 pm

One for Jersey John although I don't think he gets much chance to drive at those heady speeds most of the time :sarcasm
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:00 pm

Thanks for that Lee ........ and you are right, I don't get much of a chance to let rip, so to speak, but I don't think high speeds have much to do with speedo failures.
That fault you, and others told me about some time ago whereby the speedo stops working and by flicking a high current accessory switch brings the speedo back working, and I had never had it happen to me, well it eventually did happen to me in Macon a couple of years back.
To cut a long story short, when I got home, I set about looking for this problem with the instrument unit on the bench. You may remember I did post a lengthy article in the members area giving info on overhauling the speedo board. So in the knowledge that I had already done all of that, clearly, there was something else.
Well I did find something and once I had attended to that, I have had no trouble since ....... and two years down the line with two Macon's and two Goodwood's under its belt, I have had no more trouble.
I did not post the fix at the time, as I wanted to check that it was, in fact a fix, so I am now going to post it in the Members Area under "Speedo fix 2", although this should be attempted before going the whole hog of a Speedo board Overhaul.
I did write it up as I went, so for the benefit of Members wishing to give it a try ....... over to the Members Area.
But remember ...... the first port of call in speedo failures .... mainly Turbo's .... is the three pin speed sensor mounted on the engine side of the offside wheel arch, which must be cleaned and checked. :)
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25

• Advertisement