doylep

Rank

Non Member

Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:41 am

Swindon

G956 EGM

Postby doylep » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:09 am

Barn Find...
Well my barn actually... It's almost 10 years to the day I took my GTA Turbo off the road for slipping clutch... Kids, houses, work all took priority......
I decided this year it was do it or loose it and have embarked on total strip and rebuild, very ambitious but that's what the girl needs,, Subframes are good and I even have a spare Engine and ancillaries but my existing unit is pretty good I think...
I can tackle 90percent of work myself and have large shed/workshop where work has started..
I have funds and tools but need to buddy up with someone who has been there......

Car has been inside for 10 years and not a rot box like some..
Described as Green, I would call it Turquoise myself...I have never seen another in this colour..
Look forward to hearing from you..
Peter :angel
User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Sat May 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Nottingham

Re: G956 EGM

Postby paulrob100 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:05 am

Hi Peter

Exciting & challenging times ahead. You will get lots of help & advice from people on here, I'm sure.

Whereabouts are you ? It would be useful to see if there is anyone local too you. Please post some pics too.

Good luck :up
La Plastique Fantastique :GTA
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:19 pm

Nice to hear it's still around? Whereabouts in the country are you?

Your GTA was last seen at Graham Stuart Walkers in Chester.

Some pictures to inspire the restoration. Dare I say it needs those TSW's ditching if you still have them on....?
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
no avatar
User

doylep

Rank

Non Member

Swindon

Postby doylep » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:47 pm

Hi
Thanks for replies.. strange to see old pics of my GTA in better days...
I am near Cirencester, Gloustershire if anyone close. I work near Reading ..and happy to
travel for a meeting.....
pics on the way... certainly will need all joints and bushes renewed... the very lip of the sill is corroded in places but otherwise she is solid as far as I can tell... both front and rear subframe will be off soon for blasting and powder coating...well that's the plan ...

Really like to know how to get bottom wishbone bolts out... the nut inboard and bolt is free but seems to be bonded to the rubber bushings and what ever load I put on it just wants to wind back...
may have to grind through bolt just to free bottom wishbone which seems a shame...
Anyone been there and have a solution?

I quite like the TSW Alloys not being a purist sorry...... but I have the originals...
Peter
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:42 am

Lower rear wishbone, inner "bolt" is a 12mm hex. They are not that tight, but rust will take a good grip.
Spray with penetrating oil or PbBuster or something and let soak for a week, topping up spray daily. This could help a bit.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:11 am

The inner capheads are quite often in solid .You may shift it with a soak but I'm not hopeful ......Usually it will need the slitting disk .
I have all new fixings in stock along with bushes for the rear .Just take care with the mounting arm that bolts to the subframe.
Front subframe does not come out .
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:59 am

Front subframe does not come out .

Without the use of an angle grider lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Alpin ... 2302136257
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:30 pm

/\ /\ That front end has been sold now to help save a UK Alpine which is good news.

Peter - Have a good look through the forum using the search facility as it should help you through. Look forward to seeing your Alpine back on the road in the future.
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
no avatar
User

doylep

Rank

Non Member

Swindon

Postby doylep » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:31 pm

GTA Turbo rebuild
Where does the time go.. I last posted more than 3 years ago that I was starting on my GTA Turbo project. Well I pulled bits off, bought a few bits but never really had a proper plan ...

So am starting 2021 with renewed enthusiasm and at least now I am retired!!!

I have moved the car back to my garage from a large shed and now the engine is out and stripped for rebuild...
The liners, pistons and crank all look good so far.
.. I have the following as stages for project.. Tell me what you think??

1.. Rebuild short engine... need bearing set from somewhere?... PN 7700266061 - fm 86 from no 5 cap
I guess these are originals and 86 is the year of manufacture of bearing...?

2... Next pull the rear frame and gearbox wheels etc for clean up and check, welding, powder coating etc..
3... throw (2) back in the car so I have a rolling shell then...

4.... Tow (3) to someone to inspect and repair turrets and any other frame welding etc...without engine and box to allow better access..

How I get on with above (4) will determine steps 5 and onwards...

What I could do with is someone who has been there and I can talk to outside this forum...about improvements as I replace...

Any comments on any of this welcome...particularly on bearing set at mo..
Many thanks..
Peter nr Cirencester...
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:08 pm

Having just said goodbye to my Atmo which had a major rebuild at Rats (and then the painters) and was then finished off by me, my advice would be to get the body done first...body shops seem to have their own timetable and if it needs work, be prepared to be patient.
Front cross members can be a nasty surprise on a car that looks fine otherwise. My car took three years to get from wreck to MOT, most of which was waiting time...waiting for structural stuff (sounds like you dont have that), waiting for parts then waiting for paint.
Whilst the body is away (agree without the engine/gearbox but mobile is a good choice) you can tackle the engine and gearbox and get it ready for the return of the rest. It might be worth keeping the doors so you can get the electric windows recommissioned when the body is away and hinges may need some work too.
Get your shopping list of bits prepared early and start getting them into stock so the reassembly can start when the body comes back. A lot of GTA stuff comes from other cars so you can save a lot of money by cross matching part numbers, and I would also consider replacing all the fuel, coolant and brake/clutch pipes whilst the car is apart.
The most frustrating part is the reassembly and recommissioning as that's when you find out the bits that need changing unexpectedly, stuck bolts and you have to start hunting for the missing bits.
Have fun...
no avatar
User

doylep

Rank

Non Member

Swindon

Postby doylep » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:34 am

Rebuild project

Thanks for your reply mettersl.... Did you document in pictures or other your rebuild on your GTA?
I am sure even small issues you came across would be gold dust to likes of me right now...
I guess there might be quite a few vehicles in various states of rebuild today.. I can't be the only one..?

Maybe a sub group of current rebuilders could interact more closely and help each other..?
Perhaps the register could list vehicles with various states of completion?
My GTA is gonna need pretty much everything working on...

I'll give an example on minutia but important for me...

The turbo return pipe right now appears to be rusted to the nut that bolts in the sump...
Is the pipe on a collar, is something left hand threaded etc etc.. These small details are not easy to find on threads.. I will sort it, (or wreck it) but someone who has been there would really help..

Maybe I'll post a bit more of a diary/tracking an amatuer rebuild if it's something of value?

Rgds

Peter
no avatar
User

doylep

Rank

Non Member

Swindon

Postby doylep » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:22 pm

GTA Turbo Oil Return pipe

Had to cut pipe to get it off.. then discovered there is a grub screw which I assume has corroded away as there is no head, allen key or other and is only one point of entry..
Have to mod something or find a spare when I rebuild :down
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

PaulC1959

Rank

Non Member

Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:56 pm

Bedfordshire

Postby PaulC1959 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:03 am

Hi Peter

Good luck with the rebuild. Just a thought but perhaps your rebuild "log" thread would be better in the Projects section on here, I think it may get read more by those interested in projects, rebuilding, problem solving and the like than if it stays here. I know I don't check this section out often and guess others may be the same.... Just a thought :up

All the best

Paul
Venturi 260 - Saphir (Bleu)
Renault Sport Megane 230 F1 Team R26 - Liquid Yellow
Renault Sport Clio 197 - Ultra Red
Renault Megane Maxim 1.5 DCi - Extreme Blue (Daily Runner)
Minari RS - Coral Red
Smart Roadster Coupe 80 - Spice Red
no avatar
User

doylep

Rank

Non Member

Swindon

Postby doylep » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:09 am

Thread in wrong forum

Thanks Paul.. I thought this too and have asked Moderator if it can be moved over.. Didn't want to start a new thread duplicating stuff but will check again as maybe it can't be done?
Rgds
Peter
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:50 pm

East London

Postby eastlmark » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:27 am

doylep wrote:Thread in wrong forum

Thanks Paul.. I thought this too and have asked Moderator if it can be moved over.. Didn't want to start a new thread duplicating stuff but will check again as maybe it can't be done?
Rgds
Peter

It can and has!
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, 5 gt turbo, 5 Gordini turbo, Megane RS 300 Trophy.
Next

• Advertisement