User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:50 pm

East London

Spider mirror re build

Postby eastlmark » Sat May 13, 2017 6:01 pm

Much as I liked the Alpine presentation the other night, I was not so happy when getting home and folding the mirrors in for garaging the car to have one come off in my hand.
after a quick dismantle it was easy to see the problem:
IMG_3056.JPG

Inside the shell of the mirror there is a metal frame and the stub for mounting had broken off. A little investigation found this thread on pistonheads https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=8&t=792149 for a similar mirror on a TVR which had suffered the same issue. Must admit I had thought of attempting a similar repair but its always nice to see someone has been there before. I had thought about welding but its cheap cast metal so I am guessing welding would not be on + the outer cover would need to be removed from the frame but this is attached by plastic pins retained by one way push on clips and I am sure these pins would break if the clips were attempted to be removed..
Anyway, with nothing really to loose I tool the plunge:
cut a piece of ally sheet to size.
IMG_3057.JPG

shaped it slightly so it wouldn't foul the outer shell:
IMG_3058.JPG

and riveted it on:
IMG_3059.JPG

IMG_3060.JPG

IMG_3061.JPG

Then drilled through the broken off stub so a longer bolt could pass through and add some strength (oops forgot to photo this part
but as per the pistonheads thread really)
then re-assembled with a bit of grease applied to the spring and cams that lock the mirror in its various positions.
IMG_3062.JPG

now back on car and seems fine, will probably risk no folding them in from now on though.
IMG_3063.JPG

incidentally, if anyone want to know how to remove a spider mirror, just slide back the black collar on the base to
reveal this grub screw, loosen with allen key and off it comes.
IMG_3064.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, 5 gt turbo, 5 Gordini turbo, Megane RS 300 Trophy.
User

miles thomas

Rank

Non Member

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:38 pm

west sussex

Re: Spider mirror re build

Postby miles thomas » Sat May 13, 2017 7:53 pm

nice fix thanks for that Mark :up
Spider,Clio Tce,C4 Cactus, 1967 DS.
User

SwagSupercarsDad

Rank

Non Member

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:36 pm

Postby SwagSupercarsDad » Tue May 16, 2017 12:09 am

Yes, thanks for that Mark - glad you got it sorted. Sorry for the delayed response, haven't had time to check the forum for a few days.
Ian
... with a Little ::Y ::E ::L ::L ::O ::W
::S ::P ::I ::D ::E ::R - and that was nice! :D
User

davidmt

Rank

Non Member

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:59 pm

Postby davidmt » Fri May 19, 2017 8:56 pm

I am in the middle of a similar project but using electric mirrors so they stay fixed in what ever position I want.

IMG_4707.JPG

I was surprised how expensive these mirrrors were - I bought 2 new electric mirrors from Andy Holt but unsurprisingly received only one new unit plus a second hand unit. However you only need the electric motors which looks fairly generic and are a direct replacement for the manual mirror units.

Now sourcing electric to the doors and the switching is the real challenge so watch this space :-).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:50 pm

East London

Postby eastlmark » Fri May 19, 2017 10:35 pm

davidmt wrote:I am in the middle of a similar project but using electric mirrors so they stay fixed in what ever position I want.

IMG_4707.JPG

I was surprised how expensive these mirrrors were - I bought 2 new electric mirrors from Andy Holt but unsurprisingly received only one new unit plus a second hand unit. However you only need the electric motors which looks fairly generic and are a direct replacement for the manual mirror units.

Now sourcing electric to the doors and the switching is the real challenge so watch this space :-).

Glutton for punishment you, seems a lot of work just to save reaching across and tilting the glass! never mind. One thing, have you checked they fit the car first? the mounting looks a lot different to mine or I am assuming whats shown in the photo included the mount onto the car itself? (which I didn't need to remove as not having the hassle of any wires helped.)
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, 5 gt turbo, 5 Gordini turbo, Megane RS 300 Trophy.
User

davidmt

Rank

Non Member

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:59 pm

Postby davidmt » Sat May 20, 2017 6:45 pm

Yes - they include mounts into the door.

I want electric in the doors for some lock solenoids so seemed just a fun addition - I did the same with my Noble. Working out the wiring is quite therapeutic :crazy .

• Advertisement