User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Le Mans recreation

Postby Custard » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:18 pm

IMG_0188.JPG
Well I have started the process of turning my GTA into a Le Mans, the last job I had not done on the car was the final bit of rot busting the sills.
Took the car for the last drive last week and then into the workshop and within 2 days there is not a lot left, I was going to cut the bottom of the rusty sills and do the usual re welding of new metal along the bottom including repairing the jacking points and centre support, but after a while decided to look at it in a different way how is this metal fixed in is it possible to remove it all together well Yes it is.

The sill is only bonded in lightly along the top sill and to the rear panel and the to the plastic floor it is not bolted at all though to the roll bar plate in the rear it only has 2 bolts Conecting to the door pillar, so if you have put a roll bar in and welded the plate to the rear sill it is not Conected to the plate the uther side it will just part away from the fibreglass, having said that the fibreglass tub is very well built and very strong. I would say it is much quicker to take the sill out and replace in one peace than welding bits on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Re: Le Mans recreation

Postby mettersl » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:28 pm

Wow, so you can get the sill out without removing the fibreglass door step, but presumably the rest of the sill cover below has to be removed and re bonded?
Will be a very sound car when you've finished.
Keep us updated....
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Postby Custard » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:55 pm

Yes just cut the sill out all the way along and peel of the rusty old sill it will have lost most of its bond.
The time is then making the new one from the old one so it is important to get it out whole, one side now done in s/s ready to go back in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

phildini

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:00 am

Epsom Surrey/ Venezia Italy

Postby phildini » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:07 pm

One project I always wanted to do. Will be an interesting thread to follow.
Where are you getting your Le Mans panels from?
84 R5 Le Car2 Turbo, 95 Clio 16V mk1, 68 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV, 99 Mitsubishi Evo VI, 06 Porsche Boxster, 11 Lotus Evora S
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Postby Custard » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:41 am

I picked the kit up in France couple of years ago been sitting in my garage since then now just starting the project, The front section is the hard bit to get back as it's all in one piece just managed to get it in the back of the motorhome.
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:30 am

I think by "where" Phil was after a company name rather than a geographical country.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

phildini

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:00 am

Epsom Surrey/ Venezia Italy

Postby phildini » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:39 am

simontaylor wrote:I think by "where" Phil was after a company name rather than a geographical country.
:up True...
84 R5 Le Car2 Turbo, 95 Clio 16V mk1, 68 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV, 99 Mitsubishi Evo VI, 06 Porsche Boxster, 11 Lotus Evora S
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Postby Custard » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:49 pm

Ok I have tried to find the site on my history but I cannot remember the name so will find it and post, it was near Lemans, the chap was operating out of a small unit but had a large number body kits for loads of cars, he did not speak any English so it was a challenge to order it but that was one of the only times the phone came in handy. :crazy
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Postby Custard » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:30 pm

Ok the car has sat in the workshop for 4 weeks owing to house improvements which to be fair have needed to be done 12 years ago, nightmare but now finished and now have the green ticket to go back to the workshop.
The kit is good and the frunt tub fitted fine but the French man did say the rear sections were hard that is an understatement, 4 days and now fixed and epoxied in. The rear sections I thought I could make a template but this part of the kit is not that good, the thickness of the layup is not consistent, and the way they were trimmed is not consistent, so each section is different so you have to cut each side to mach the panel.
This is not an easy kit to do as the lineup of all the panels is set from the rear sections, as the layup is not even as you fix the new panel to the rear it requires packing in places to keep it even with the existing, plus it is very thin as it has to be but you have to countersink the fixing holes, it is very hard not to go right though.
Now it is done the car looks pretty fat from the back and the rear wheels look like the space saver.
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:01 pm

Proper man cave, car in bits and an arm chair :-)
Good progress Stuart.
Firsts at
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Postby Custard » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:57 am

Thanks mate you have to have chairs to be able to take stock over tea, and later in the day some cold beers. That is what doing old cars up is all about, plus a load of banter with mates who call in and stop progress. :Cheer
User

PaulC1959

Rank

Non Member

Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:56 pm

Bedfordshire

Postby PaulC1959 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:39 pm

I agree, often find myself sat down pondering how best to approach the next task or what order to do the list of jobs in or even more fun how to design/make that widget to complete the current job and all whilst sipping a cup of tea... ::H ::E ::A ::V ::E ::N :up
Venturi 260 - Saphir (Bleu)
Renault Sport Megane 230 F1 Team R26 - Liquid Yellow
Renault Sport Clio 197 - Ultra Red
Renault Megane Maxim 1.5 DCi - Extreme Blue (Daily Runner)
Minari RS - Coral Red
Smart Roadster Coupe 80 - Spice Red
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Postby Custard » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:44 pm

Well enough banter back to work, have now got all the interior back in the car what a nightmare comes out in minutes takes hours to put back in, but there where tea brakes and the discussion progressed to wheels, being influenced by the 70/80s I prefer the deep dish wheels I was going to do it copying the original with bbs wheels however there are some other wheels which looks similar but will probably be easier to clean as I do use this car for a bit. However it is interesting that my mate is about 6 years younger and hates the look of deep dish wheels and prefers the rallying style wheels which were flush, well that's what makes the world go around. So I will have see how fat a tire I can get in the back, of I don't know if you can get hold of a 295/40/17 or a 295/45/16 plus how big a tire can you fit in the frunt 225/45/16 will start looking tonight.
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:41 pm

17s will fit easily, 18s will be a pinch, especially at the front.
plenty of tyre choice on 17s, much better than 16s.
Firsts at
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Postby Custard » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:54 pm

Thanks mate I thought this would be the easy bit, I don't want to go low profile as the ride normally goes to shit, 45 profile should keep the ride not to hard but I put the rear tyre on the front which is the 225 and it filled the arch perfectly, the rear should take a 275/295 but have not had a look to see if such tyres are available in 17"
Next

• Advertisement