User

LesC

Rank

Non Member

Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:04 pm

South Wales

Headlining

Postby LesC » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:45 am

I see I'm not the only one who suffers from saggy headlining. The temperatures we have been experiencing turns my GTA into a furnace. Oh joy. This has resulted in the headlinging becoming detached entirely. Some past history shows it was replaced.....but poorly! And what looks like foam backed nylon.
I intend to replace it properly but anyone tell me what colour it should be? It's currently black and the car has black leather. And if anyone fixes it themselves, don't use carpet or other rubber based contact adhesives because the heat of the roof melts the glue!!! Use a high temperature adhesive specially formulated for the purpose. May be more expensive but it's all relative!
So any ideas on what the lining should be and its colour would be appreciated.
Thanks.
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Re: Headlining

Postby JohnC » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:31 am

I used the original cloth. I was able to brush off the remaining bits of foam that was still attached without any problem. I then attached the cloth to half inch high quality foam with ... as LesC says .... High Temperature spray adhesive, and used the same High temperature adhesive to attach the foam + cloth to roof.
Make sure the roof is absolutely clean ..... I cleaned off the old adhesive with Acetone making sure the Alp was outside with all doors open. and the interior of the car covered with old sheets and have plenty of breaks. :pint :pint :pint
One tip ..... because there is not too much extra cloth if using the original, positioning the new headlining is critical. Before I stuck the foam back, I replaced all the roof perimeter trimmings after the roof was cleaned, and ran a magic marker around the trim marking the roof where the trim will met the headlining. This will help centralise the headlining so the trim overlaps the headlining.
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:38 am

My GTA had a grey liner with black diagonal pencil stripes, my 610 had a black liner originally.
On the GTA I went for plain grey as the original liner has been left in the sunlight folded up and now has a faded segment, I couldn't get the creases out of it either as it was given to me folded up, separate from the car.
On the old 610 I went for white to lighten the cabin (that's what my "new" 610 has too, but it's dropping and dirty, so will go for grey as I have some left over).
So I'd recommend white for a bright cabin or plain grey for closer to original, you are unlikely to find a genuine headliner material. I can post a picture later if you are keen on originality.(Pm me if you want that).
I did use the high-temperature glue which worked a treat on my old 610. The job isn't that hard, it's just messy to get the old foam off.
Lee
User

LesC

Rank

Non Member

South Wales

Postby LesC » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:18 pm

Thanks both for your comments. I don't have the original and what's there only fits where it touches!
Likely to go for grey but not looking forward to removing the gunge from the roof!
Lee I'd love to see a photo of an original lining so I'll PM you.
Thanks again
Les
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:37 pm

Well, here you are...my old headliner in all its faded glory.
The material underneath is the new liner that has gone into the car (and I'll put in the 610 too)
As you can see, the original has creases and faded patches, so far I haven't been able to get rid of the creases, even with getting it wet and ironing it.
1D43707D-3CA8-4B2E-A308-F643FF3B9E97.JPG
A7D0CEC1-C162-46D3-A370-82B9527924B8.JPG
A7D0CEC1-C162-46D3-A370-82B9527924B8.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

LesC

Rank

Non Member

South Wales

Postby LesC » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:35 pm

Thanks Lee. I've gone for grey.
On another note. If anyone needs to replace the cover on their door cards, Martrim seem to sell a passable alternative. Its seat cloth, ribbed velour in grey, Type N in their online catalogue. Haven't seen it in the flesh though.

• Advertisement