stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Re: A6 TAU - Atmo

Postby stephendell » Wed May 22, 2019 4:28 pm

Custard wrote:Breaking good cars for a short term gain for a long term loss, I think we have covered that in another post, in the long term the end result is not that good. :?

You’ll be pleased with me then. Just starting to put this one back together from parts I have lying around. Probably the best chassis I’ve seen, better than my own car. Subframe now fitted and rolling on its own four wheels.

F37FE2EE-2539-4950-B0B6-F8A6207269EB.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Wed May 22, 2019 7:12 pm

Which one is that Stephen..A6TAV?
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:28 pm

Gloucestershire

Postby Pjr » Wed May 22, 2019 9:13 pm

Stephen,

I guess our cars were registered at the same time and place. Sort of car siblings!

Phil
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Postby Custard » Thu May 23, 2019 5:45 pm

:up
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

London

Postby stephendell » Thu May 23, 2019 7:03 pm

No this one is on an Irish plate I think. Will have to check the logbook. Had no bumpers when I got it so no numberplates.

A6 TAV was broken by a guy near hull and the shell has gone off to help repair a rotten one in Ireland.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Gloucestershire

Postby Pjr » Sat May 25, 2019 8:57 pm

It’s a shame the sibling is no more, but at least some of the parts are being reused. Here is an update on my progress towards getting another Atmo back on the road.....

I’ve been busy today and have refitted the interior.

I have a few problems yet to solve-

1. The battery light remains on. My multimeter is broken, but tomorrow I will borrow one and investigate. I cleaned the two terminals on the alternator but the light remained on.

2. I must be missing something that holds the heater cables in place so that the levers in the console don’t pull the whole cable! Does anyone have a photo of that assembly please?

3. The drivers electric lock seems to not be working at the lock. I assume I must take out the rear quarter inside panel?

4. The passenger electric window works every time I clean the terminals on the motor, and stops shortly after I have replaced all the door card. It’s messing with me! :hang

5. Sorting 4 above, I broke the earth tab off the micro switch for the passenger electric door opener which was working. arghhh! :wtf

6. The air horn pump works but all I can hear is a hiss. A split pipe?

7. I found the well-hidden relays and got the hazards working. Also the left indicators. However the right indicator stays on! Bizarre. Think it might be wiring at the lamp holder ends as when I wiggled a bulb, the relay worked normally a few times.

Some iridium plugs (it22) , some carb cleaner and cleaning the ignition wires seems to have improved the idle. I can access a private lane from the garden so I was able to drive her 100m up and down and she went well!

Can’t wait to get an MOT and then fresh paint....... :pint

Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

London

Postby stephendell » Tue May 28, 2019 10:13 am

The bitsa rebuild is coming on ok

5969A9BA-B553-452F-9CA0-86DEC0CE90F4.jpeg

F17630F7-DB6D-4E39-A31B-A16237840C88.jpeg
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Postby Custard » Tue May 28, 2019 3:14 pm

Did you save some front indicators after your big sell off a while back?
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

London

Postby stephendell » Wed May 29, 2019 2:27 am

Custard wrote:Did you save some front indicators after your big sell off a while back?

Yes one pair which will now double the value of the car lol.

I only have 610 rear lights though so may have to take the ones off the yellow car for this one.

Going to check out some of the FAR rear covers also.
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Wed May 29, 2019 9:35 am

There is also a french indicator supply.
Stephen I have some OK spare rear covers (repaired) if you have a set of light backs to put them on...Pm me....
Lee
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Gloucestershire

Postby Pjr » Fri May 31, 2019 7:27 pm

It’s good to see another making it back towards the road. Fortunately the lights on mine are all ok.

Can I ask a couple of stupid questions please?

1. The battery charge light was not extinguishing. I’ve replaced the alternator with a refurb unit and cleaned the terminals plus the + junction at the starter and on the battery. However, I’m getting 12.35v before starting the engine and just a bit less after (circa 12.10v). No change when I rev the engine. And battery and gearbox earth straps in place and clean. The battery light is going out though! What am I missing? What should I be looking at next please????

2. The steering rack gaiters have perished and access looks a little tight (although I’ve not investigated thoroughly). Are there any tips you have regarding changing them?

Any thoughts really appreciated!

Cheers,

Phil
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

London

Postby stephendell » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:29 am

Access is very tight but you can do them in situ. I prefer to do them when the rack is out. On the plus side gaiters are readily available and cheap. They are different each side.
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Gloucestershire

Postby Pjr » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:05 am

Thanks Stephen. Sounds like a job I may farm out!

On the alternator issue I have just cleaned all the multi plugs at the back of the engine bay, the 3 big connectors under the stereo and the battery earth. Still no change.

Where next? I’m thinking ignition switch, but is there anything else behind the dash that would affect alternator charging? My theory is that the alternator is not getting the signal it needs to initiate charging, but this is guesswork as I’m not experienced with electrics.....

Cheers,

Phil
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Gloucestershire

Postby Pjr » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:23 pm

Alternator problem solved -

Having clean just about every connector on the car, the alternator still wasn’t charging. I read that the two little wires going into the alternator should have a positive, hopefully the same as the battery.

The multimeter revealed that the smaller wire was not receiving power. I placed a jumper wire (red in photos) to the multi plug on the engine bay bulkhead. After a bit of wiggling I saw the voltmeter registering 13.5v at just above idle on the battery. Result!

On closer inspection, the failed wire was soft and lifeless - probably not much left inside it. It was corroded inside and probably broken too. Not only is it in a position to be baked, but it also gets a fair bit of vibration.
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Gloucestershire

Postby Pjr » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:16 pm

I’ve got a few more minor jobs done - moving towards the MoT

- New UK-legal yellow bulbs to emphasise the Frenchness of the car
- New wiper blades Valeo v55 which fit quite well.
- new Toyo TR-1 tyres (still to fit)

I need a rear anti-roll bar bush - Stephen is looking to see if he has one - and I need to fit new steering rack gaiters. Otherwise, I’m pretty much there.

Also v pleased that I have managed to improve the bonnet shut lines quite a bit. Didn’t want to be experimenting after the respray!

Here are some photos in case of interest:
PreviousNext

• Advertisement