Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:28 pm

Gloucestershire

A6 TAU - Atmo

Postby Pjr » Sun May 19, 2019 3:04 pm

Hi all,

Just to say that I have just bought A6 TAU which was last on the road in 2013. I have a fair few things to work through before MOT - almost entirely electrical in nature as a result of it standing for a long time.

The engine runs nicely and she drives up and down the drive well, but the paintwork is poor. The interior is in good condition.

Wish me luck - hope to have her MOTd in a month or two!

Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Re: A6 TAU - Atmo

Postby stephendell » Sun May 19, 2019 9:05 pm

Wow, almost the same reg as this one which was sadly scrapped recently

ADAD7655-2C77-47F9-8114-35A92DC93E84.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Gloucestershire

Postby Pjr » Sun May 19, 2019 9:22 pm

I’m thrilled with my new purchase, and have spent all day fettling which has thrown up some challenges.

Can I ask some silly questions please? I’ve been searching all evening, but cannot find the answers:

1. How do I get the gear knob off? I’ve tried twisting, but I don’t want to break anything

2. There is a grey box the size of a cigarette packet in the centre console, drivers side, under the stereo. It’s the lowest one. The wiring harness has been unplugged and when I plug it in, there is a buzzing rather like the lights-on buzzer. What is it for please?

3. I locked the doors manually but then struggled to get them open again. The dash button works, but the door handles in the door card don’t work so I use the floor-mounted lever. I see there an obvious place to start investigating this?

4. Are there any adjustment points on the bonnet? I can’t see any but the front corners are a bit high.

Any advice or comments very welcome.

Thanks,

Phil
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

London

Postby stephendell » Sun May 19, 2019 10:55 pm

Pjr wrote:I’m thrilled with my new purchase, and have spent all day fettling which has thrown up some challenges.

Can I ask some silly questions please? I’ve been searching all evening, but cannot find the answers:

1. How do I get the gear knob off? I’ve tried twisting, but I don’t want to break anything

Twist and pull. It will likely destroy the gearknob but it’s the only way if it’s the standard one.

2. There is a grey box the size of a cigarette packet in the centre console, drivers side, under the stereo. It’s the lowest one. The wiring harness has been unplugged and when I plug it in, there is a buzzing rather like the lights-on buzzer. What is it for please?

Most likely door release or central locking relay.

3. I locked the doors manually but then struggled to get them open again. The dash button works, but the door handles in the door card don’t work so I use the floor-mounted lever. I see there an obvious place to start investigating this?

The grey box above lol

4. Are there any adjustment points on the bonnet? I can’t see any but the front corners are a bit high.

Rubber bump stops are adjustable in the corners. At the front there are sometimes shims under the hinges which can be removed.

Any advice or comments very welcome.

Thanks,

Phil
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Gloucestershire

Postby Pjr » Mon May 20, 2019 5:25 am

Stephen,

Very many thanks for the answers. That should give me a few things to get on with this week.

Before I damage the gear knob, are they available still? I only want to refit the gaiter so if necessary I will unstitch slightly

Thanks again,

Phil
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Mon May 20, 2019 9:51 am

Yes gear knob is back available, I think Steve has some if not ebay. They went away for a long time, but now available again so that's fairly handy as it might chew up the rubber when you pull it off.

Gaiters tend to shrink from the heat I'm afraid. Same scenario as the very rare leather dash.
I'm just here for the gasoline.
User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Sat May 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Nottingham

Postby paulrob100 » Mon May 20, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi Phil. Welcome to the world of GTA ownership.

Reproduction gaiters are available on eBay for about £40. If you buy one make sure it’s for a RHD car with the window buttons on the console. It’s different to the one in the pictures.
La Plastique Fantastique :GTA
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Gloucestershire

Postby Pjr » Mon May 20, 2019 5:12 pm

Thanks for all the help.

Can i ask another silly question please? Courtesy light needs to be refitted and it has an earth wire on the loom. Does that go to the metal hoop that reinforces the roof or part of the light unit please?

Many thanks,

Phil
no avatar
User

Georgi Galabov

Rank

Non Member

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:11 am

London

Postby Georgi Galabov » Mon May 20, 2019 7:46 pm

Hi , and good luck with your GTA . About the gear knob , Stephen Dell got in stock , they are genuine and fits really nice. I bought two from him for my Alpines
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Mon May 20, 2019 10:11 pm

Pjr wrote: Courtesy light needs to be refitted and it has an earth wire on the loom. Does that go to the metal hoop that reinforces the roof or part of the light unit please?

Interior Light.jpg
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Gloucestershire

Postby Pjr » Tue May 21, 2019 6:05 am

Thanks guys - that’s two more mysteries solved!
User

Bazzer501

Rank

Non Member

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:04 pm

Barton Stacey, Hampshire

Re: A6 TAV - Atmo

Postby Bazzer501 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:08 am

Hi all,

Wow seeing the Red A6 TAV GTA Atmo, sadly being broken bought back some memories for me as this was the first GTA I bought, many, many years ago. I think the original owner was a Terence Andrew Vincent hence the number plate. Since then I've owned 3 GTA's and two A610's...terrible affliction.
As its being broken you might get a bob or two for the number plate Stephen, must be worth a few ££ to someone with those initials,

Cheers, Barry.
Yellow 1993 Alpine Renault A610
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

London

Postby stephendell » Tue May 21, 2019 9:12 pm

Hi Barry, the car was broken by the guy in Driffield. Sadly I don’t think there was anything wrong with it just that it was worth more in bits. I think the shell has gone to Ireland now so it may be resurrected.
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Postby Custard » Wed May 22, 2019 5:13 am

Breaking good cars for a short term gain for a long term loss, I think we have covered that in another post, in the long term the end result is not that good. :?
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Wed May 22, 2019 9:29 am

I'm not convinced he will have made money on this breaker. The car was seemingly a good one and he didn't seem to be selling the parts that easily on Ebay versus what a nice complete car could have made.

Prices seem to be on the up (no doubt helped by the new car) and as you say Dave, longer term I think it would be worth significantly more.

That and it just doesn't make sense to me.
I'm just here for the gasoline.
Next

• Advertisement