Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:28 pm

Gloucestershire

Coolant leak - impossible question.....

Postby Pjr » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:25 pm

Evening all,

I took of the airbox today to add a a throttle return spring. Anyway, the area around the water pump was speckled with little crustaceans formed from coolant. There water lots of traces of coolant down the engine casing to the right of the water pump and onto the garage floor.

Now, I changed the coolant recently so it’s the correct stuff at the right strength. What has puzzled me is the little crustacean like things splattered all over the area. The attached photos are after I wiped most of them off. Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

My hypothesis is that the lower of the two right hoses is leaking where it joins the water pump, and it must have sprayed coolant over the pump area, which then dried into little crustaceans all over the pump area. Perhaps the fresh coolant caused the leak?

Does anyone know if the end part of that hose is available? It increases the rubber hose diameter so that it fits over the pump.

If it’s not the hose, I guess it could be t he pump, but my thought is that the pump would leak directly under it, rather than offset to the right.

Sorry for the rambling post, but great fun for any comments.

Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Re: Coolant leak - impossible question.....

Postby mettersl » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:54 am

Looks like a GTA atmo....
In which case new hoses are available from Samco (via Stephen), Simon auto, and Classic silicone hoses ...the bad news is that not all of them sell them singly and normally they are made to order, so it can take a while.
Simon only supply Turbo hoses, which whilst they work, they don't sit correctly on the brackets.
I'd start off with some cleaning and self amalgamating tape which whilst it sounds like a bodge, actually bonds to your existing hoses and can form a permanent bond.
I have a joint on my radiator that got damaged and self amalgamating tape build up the inner pipe increasing the pressure in the joint and stopping a leak.
Have fun..
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Gloucestershire

Postby Pjr » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:47 pm

Thanks, that’s a great tip. On closer examination, I think the clip around the fat end of the hose is really old so reseating the hose and a new clip might be enough.

I recall putting new coolant in an old car (watertight) years ago and it started leaking from several hoses until reseated.

I’m charging the battery so I can fire her up and hopefully isolate the leak before I disturb anything.

Any particular brand of self-amalgamating tape you would recommend?

Thanks,

Phil
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:00 pm

Sorry, I don't think any of the self amalgamating tape that I have has a brand on it...but start simple, new clips first seems a good plan.
I find my GTA runs its battery flat quite quickly (but the 610 does not) so as it has quick release terminals (original, I think) I just disconnect when not in use and the battery seems to last months that way.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:17 am

Take off the hose carefully to avoid splitting it. Clean up the aluminium thermostat housing. If badly pitted lightly smear with silicone sealant or similar. Refit Hose with a new clip. Run up to temperature and look for leaks.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Gloucestershire

Postby Pjr » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:48 pm

Thanks all. That is great advice. Have ordered some tape as it sounds jolly useful to have around.

thinking back, I disturbed a hose not long ago when I drain some coolant for fitting the manifold with the Weber carb, so it’s almost certainly that having not reseated properly.

The battery is new and strong but I was tinkering with the car a lot with doors open etc and it’s been cold, so I’m not surprised it was low. I can normally leave it connected for a couple of months and it’s ok.

• Advertisement