Alpines at Wheeler Dealer Trackday Brandshatch 9th Dec £99

Competion events, results and regulations.

Moderators: eastlmark, simontaylor, Test Moderator

User

si21

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 09, 2005 8:24 pm

S.E London

Postby si21 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:32 pm

Alpineandy wrote:
si21 wrote:...why change something thats worked for decades

Graham Hill bend was re-profiled in the late 80s (IIRC).
This one is soft compared to the old one!

That's still over two decades :lol: :lol:
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:50 pm

East London

Postby eastlmark » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:06 pm

Alpineandy wrote:
si21 wrote:...why change something thats worked for decades

Graham Hill bend was re-profiled in the late 80s (IIRC).
This one is soft compared to the old one!

1999 was the last of several changes. Maybe the new version will be a completly different layout rather than just a re profile, maybe eating into the grass area on the outside.
User

r5nga

Rank

Non Member

Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:47 pm

Guildford, Surrey

Postby r5nga » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:59 pm

I'm late to the post-event debrief, but yes, it was a most excellent day. Took a while before I could sign the indemnity form for them, as fingers were frozen solid till about 9:30am, but then the sun came out and tried to dry the track as well as warm us up.

Ed and Mike were just as chatty in real life as they appear on TV and Ed was particularly taken with my road Spider (and the fact that I'd driven there with nothing but my liver for heating). He prefers road cars to race cars, that's all. In fact he wanted to do the TV interview-next-to-the-car thing with me but the Director said No, we're at a raqce track and wanted Holt and his racecar instead..... At least they could keep the camera steady as Andy could look into Ed's eye without standing on the ladder that I would have needed. Seemed to take a while so hopefully it looks good on TV.

That MX-5 was actually goind quite well, but he was on cold tyres that lap and very nearly took me out - I was already planning a trip into the kitty litter just in case. In the end he got it stopped whilst going backwards and me and the VXR slipped through unharmed.

A similary cold drive home and a 250 mile round trip and officially the latest-in-the-year trackday I've ever done in the Spider - or any car come to think of it.

Would love to try the full GP track next year please Mr Organiser, as despite the universally accepted challenge of Paddock Hill bend, just 3 rights and 2 lefts are only just entertaining enough really.....

Looking forward to the TV show, but heavens knows when it will be shown or which of the myriad of Discovery Channels it will be on.

PG
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:29 pm

C'mon think about it ...Discovery Shed innit :lol:
User

si21

Rank

Non Member

S.E London

Postby si21 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:44 pm

r5nga wrote:I'm late to the post-event debrief, but yes, it was a most excellent day. Took a while before I could sign the indemnity form for them, as fingers were frozen solid till about 9:30am, but then the sun came out and tried to dry the track as well as warm us up.

Ed and Mike were just as chatty in real life as they appear on TV and Ed was particularly taken with my road Spider (and the fact that I'd driven there with nothing but my liver for heating). He prefers road cars to race cars, that's all. In fact he wanted to do the TV interview-next-to-the-car thing with me but the Director said No, we're at a raqce track and wanted Holt and his racecar instead..... At least they could keep the camera steady as Andy could look into Ed's eye without standing on the ladder that I would have needed. Seemed to take a while so hopefully it looks good on TV.

That MX-5 was actually goind quite well, but he was on cold tyres that lap and very nearly took me out - I was already planning a trip into the kitty litter just in case. In the end he got it stopped whilst going backwards and me and the VXR slipped through unharmed.

A similary cold drive home and a 250 mile round trip and officially the latest-in-the-year trackday I've ever done in the Spider - or any car come to think of it.

Would love to try the full GP track next year please Mr Organiser, as despite the universally accepted challenge of Paddock Hill bend, just 3 rights and 2 lefts are only just entertaining enough really.....

Looking forward to the TV show, but heavens knows when it will be shown or which of the myriad of Discovery Channels it will be on.

PG

I had a real scary moment a Pug lost it, fish tailed out of Paddock and went back and forth across the track I had just started to tread in it and had to back off the back stepping out slightly at the apex, I remembered thinking aim for him where he is now, but he wouldn't stay still :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

fortunatley I mad a dive for the inside and he pirouetted to the outside and I was relieved to get back on the power up the hill, have to say that was a bit af a heart stopper :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I dont suppose he was feeling to great either watching me weave from side to side edging my bets trying to avoid him :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

si21
User

andyh877

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:11 am

Alpine France

Postby andyh877 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:49 pm

si21 wrote:
r5nga wrote:I'm late to the post-event debrief, but yes, it was a most excellent day. Took a while before I could sign the indemnity form for them, as fingers were frozen solid till about 9:30am, but then the sun came out and tried to dry the track as well as warm us up.

PG

I had a real scary moment a Pug lost it, fish tailed out of Paddock and went back and forth across the track I had just started to tread in it and had to back off the back stepping out slightly at the apex, I remembered thinking aim for him where he is now, but he wouldn't stay still :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

fortunatley I mad a dive for the inside and he pirouetted to the outside and I was relieved to get back on the power up the hill, have to say that was a bit af a heart stopper :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I dont suppose he was feeling to great either watching me weave from side to side edging my bets trying to avoid him :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

si21

was it this guy simon by any chance?
User

si21

Rank

Non Member

S.E London

Forgot to say

Postby si21 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:51 pm

Seriously BIG hats off to the Spider boys, mind you I was sweating in the Atmo :lol: :lol: :lol: when I stopped the windows steamed up instantly :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did anyone have neck ache the next day :?: I can only assume my neck was not used to supporting the weight of the helmet even at the low corner speeds comparative to a single seater with downforce :shock:

Jesus those F1 boys must have necks like tree trunks :lol: :lol: :lol:

si21
User

si21

Rank

Non Member

S.E London

Now that looks

Postby si21 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:52 pm

A very familiar sight LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

who took those, you Andy?
User

andyh877

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:11 am

Alpine France

Re: Now that looks

Postby andyh877 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:55 pm

si21 wrote:A very familiar sight LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

no mate.... official photo guy on his facebook site, Dave has put the link a couple of pages back in the thread now, there's lts more to come too
no avatar
User

OpentrackDave

Rank

Non Member

Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:30 am

Cambridge

Re: Now that looks

Postby OpentrackDave » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:34 pm

andyh877 wrote:
si21 wrote:A very familiar sight LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

no mate.... official photo guy on his facebook site, Dave has put the link a couple of pages back in the thread now, there's lts more to come too

Just a quick one these are NOT the official pics :D they are much better quality trust me. These are by a keep amateur !
Tony the official photographer was away shooting on the weekend so the good pic's will be done by tomorrow evening i hope. When they are i will post a link up here ...... he shot almost 2000 but has to edit them down.
Opentrack track days
"always open pit lane"
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:50 pm

East London

Postby eastlmark » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:03 pm

no avatar
User

OpentrackDave

Rank

Non Member

Cambridge

Postby OpentrackDave » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:07 pm

eastlmark wrote:poss plans for Graham Hill?

http://www.stevesplace.org/phocadownloa ... shatch.pdf

Oh i like that ;-))
Opentrack track days
"always open pit lane"
User

si21

Rank

Non Member

S.E London

Not sure ....nw

Postby si21 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:16 pm

Not sure that I do; I loved the speed that you can get down the hill and thrn get tbe apex right let it drift wide as you accelerate hard down the bottom straight.
I.think.that the hairpin wil slow.it all.down a bit too much.

But I know nothing about circuits and their design and have not driven enough circuits in anger to have a valid opinion :lol: :lol: :lol: so. ust my humble opinion but if they do it, i wont knock it till I've tried it :wink: But i guess if it makes for better.racing

Its a real shame the full circuit does not get used more often, Phil you can drive the full circuit as Dave says it'll cost you.£500 as far asI know the Circuit is restricted as to the number of times it can be used. This is due to noise; yes the usual resident twats that buy a house next to a Motor Racing Circuit the,complain about the noise Www :twisted: l :roll:
8)

Si21
User

r5nga

Rank

Non Member

Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:47 pm

Guildford, Surrey

Postby r5nga » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:39 pm

Blimey - that is expensive now. I've only done a couple of full GP circuit days, but that was on a Fireblade and was somewhat faster than the Spider. Strangely enough, Paddock Hill was much nicer on 2wheels than on 4, but then again I was younger and hadn't smashed my legs up at that point, so didn't appreciate how much multiple broken bones hurt.

Would still be up for a Spider GP session, given time to save up....
no avatar
User

OpentrackDave

Rank

Non Member

Cambridge

Postby OpentrackDave » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:52 pm

Bike days are always cheaper than car days as the number of people taking part is far more. Some good deals can be found last minute etc say in either winter or autumn then it is about £250 mark.
Basically it is used for cars 8 days a year for track days and it is £27,500 + Vat to hire for the day :? :shock:
Opentrack track days
"always open pit lane"
PreviousNext

• Advertisement