Eastlmark Spider Race season (title changed)

Competion events, results and regulations.

Moderators: eastlmark, simontaylor, Test Moderator

User

PaulC1959

Rank

Non Member

Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:56 pm

Bedfordshire

Postby PaulC1959 » Thu May 24, 2012 11:41 pm

Cool, that looks like big fun to me. :wink: What was the little blue thing with a wing on the back that went past and disapeared? :?
Venturi 260 - Saphir (Bleu)
Renault Sport Megane 230 F1 Team R26 - Liquid Yellow
Renault Sport Clio 197 - Ultra Red
Renault Megane Maxim 1.5 DCi - Extreme Blue (Daily Runner)
Minari RS - Coral Red
Smart Roadster Coupe 80 - Spice Red
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:50 pm

East London

Postby eastlmark » Fri May 25, 2012 7:08 am

PaulC1959 wrote:Cool, that looks like big fun to me. :wink: What was the little blue thing with a wing on the back that went past and disapeared? :?

Good question as it was a spaceframe silouhett (sic) Honda CRX that has not been raced for 15 years. thing is, stick an Alpine A on the front and I am sure it could have passed as A310. Fast and fragile, just like an Alpine as well.

User

PaulC1959

Rank

Non Member

Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:56 pm

Bedfordshire

Postby PaulC1959 » Fri May 25, 2012 3:41 pm

I had a Honda CRX Phase 2 myself in the late '90's, I had it chipped and lowered with TSW's and Yokohama's, I only sold it to finance buying my Porsche 964. This car's silhouette is nothing like any CRX I have ever seen! :roll: :roll:
Venturi 260 - Saphir (Bleu)
Renault Sport Megane 230 F1 Team R26 - Liquid Yellow
Renault Sport Clio 197 - Ultra Red
Renault Megane Maxim 1.5 DCi - Extreme Blue (Daily Runner)
Minari RS - Coral Red
Smart Roadster Coupe 80 - Spice Red
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:06 pm

Next race, Lydden 9th June. Its a Saturday afternoon event so no early starts (sprint in the morning however should anyone want to take a look). Let me know if you want your name on the guest list. Practice from 12 ish 2 races to follow + single seaters race + kit cars race.
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:19 pm

bump.
Guest list filling up rapidly. dont miss out.
entry list a bit thin for this one, some of the slower cars are not entered, might be fighting it out for last place on this one.
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:59 pm

Another Sunny Saturday at Lydden then....
Set an identical, to the 100th/sec qualifying time as the last round, so started the first race in 8th place of 15.Finished the1st lap in 6th place and eventualy finished race in 7th but had a scare from the yellow Honda S2000 that had crept up on me un noticed as I was taking the last few laps easy as I had no hope of catching those in front and no one near me behind, only saw it in the mirror as I let the leader pass me but just managed to hold it off by the flag. Good news is that my long running charging problem is solved by fitting a new alternator, yes I know it sounds obvious but can someone explain why an alternator can stop charging only when hammerring around right hand bends? Was good not to have flashing warning lights distracting me though.

Race 2 then and 7th on the grid, another good start but could not hold off a little mini that could out break me on the bends like nothing I have ever seen before and then caught by the damn Honda again but this time I had to let him pass as I had a new distraction, my dash had completely died-no rev counter or temps/oil pressure and I was worried the flat shift engine cut may of been disabled as well, not wishing to damage anything I took it easy for the rest of the race and clutch changed- a difficult habit to get back into on track. Managed to hold of the Clio at the end and Bill Richards retiring in smoke meant I ended up back in 7th at the end.
Ricky found the dash problem, a plug connector under the dash had managed to undo itself despite having locking rings on the loom. He wondered why I could not have fixed it myself while racing......a bit busy I told him.
Good to see Tony Hart there in his 5, winning his class in the mornings sprint.

Next race July 7th, sprint on as well in the morning, entries available from me!
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:42 pm

Good weather against all odds at Lydden on Saturday. Must admit I had thought my race season would consist of qualifying towards the rear of the field and staying out of trouble battling with the slower cars....so how come I end up qualifying 6 and a 3rd row start is right in the heat of things. First race found myself on the outside of a 3 wide battle going around the first turns at Lydden with a clio a fag papers width away being the meat in a subaru and spider sandwich. Being on the outside though is not easy as all the loose rubber marbles dont make steering the car in the right direction easy. At the hairpin the clio got t boned by some poor driving from another car who was later fined and licence pointed for his troubles, wont help the poor Clio owner though with severe damage to the side of his car. Somehow I came through all this and found myself in 6th place at the end.
Race 2 then and a titanic battle with a spaceframe missfiring Imp that I must have re passed 5 times before he pulled off in a cloud of smoke. Trouble is it held me up long enough for the Barden Mini, which I can usually beat easlily, to slip past. No bother I thought as plenty of laps left but the safety car put paid to that. Yes, both races at Lydden on Saturday featured the safety car and having spent much of my life watching Nascar and Indy car I think I knew how to use it to my advantage more than most. result then and up to 5th but the blasted mini got by again as I was distracted by of all things... a spider! yes a scary large arachnid was crawling up my knee! I am pretty sure this is a racing drivers excuse never used before, at least not in a car of the same name.
Finished 6th then. But did make a sub 49 second lap in the process in race one which was an achievement.

Next up Brands Hatch in September. WIll have a pit box if anyones interested in coming along.
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:41 pm

Finaly, I make Autosport magazine, page 89 if you are browsing in Smiths. Picture taken having just lost 2 places in the first corner 3 wide on marbles debacle.

Excitement didnt stop at the track though, shortly after leaving Lydden a trailer tyre decided to shed its tread (still air in tyre so not a blow out) and destroy the wheel cover/ mudguard on one side and give some following motorists a bit of a scare!

Mud guard totally ripped of and destroyed:

offending tyre (now in spare position)

and did what any good father would do... send son out to change the wheel while I keep watch for sideways,out of control petrol tanker.
User

andyh877

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:11 am

Alpine France

Postby andyh877 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:50 pm

what make are they?, i've had problems with hankooks blowing in the past
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:04 pm

andyh877 wrote:what make are they?, i've had problems with hankooks blowing in the past

the brand is "kings tyre" and appears to be what Brian James fit as standard. and as I said, not blown, just thrown its tread, still at full pressure.
User

andyh877

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:11 am

Alpine France

Postby andyh877 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:46 pm

eastlmark wrote:
andyh877 wrote:what make are they?, i've had problems with hankooks blowing in the past

the brand is "kings tyre" and appears to be what Brian James fit as standard. and as I said, not blown, just thrown its tread, still at full pressure.

kings are normally good they normally fit hankooks as standard as the distibution centre is just down the road from BJT
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:21 am

If the type threw the tread off, cant you get a replacement from the manufacturer?

It is odd to see that trailer tyres seem to puncture and blow and have 100 times more problems that the tow car ever does. Personally, I think this is often due to the trailer having smaller wheels and tyres.

As you dont have a mud guard any more, maybe this is a good time to upgrade the size of the wheel????

What is the September date?
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:04 pm

simontaylor wrote:If the type threw the tread off, cant you get a replacement from the manufacturer?

It is odd to see that trailer tyres seem to puncture and blow and have 100 times more problems that the tow car ever does. Personally, I think this is often due to the trailer having smaller wheels and tyres.

As you dont have a mud guard any more, maybe this is a good time to upgrade the size of the wheel????

What is the September date?

assume the mudgaurd is there for a reason and i dont really need the trailer to be any higher thanks.

Tyre is well out of warranty period so not sure I would get anywhere with them, bound to blame it in excessive speed and weight.

September 22nd usual sprint AM racing PM
User

si21

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 09, 2005 8:24 pm

S.E London

Hi Mark

Postby si21 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:32 pm

will that 2nd September be at Lydden or Brands ....you did not stipulate?

Si21
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Re: Hi Mark

Postby eastlmark » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:16 pm

si21 wrote:will that 2nd September be at Lydden or Brands ....you did not stipulate?

Si21

22nd down the hatch mate.
PreviousNext

• Advertisement