Eastlmark Spider Race season (title changed)

Competion events, results and regulations.

Moderators: eastlmark, simontaylor, Test Moderator

no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:50 pm

East London

Eastlmark Spider Race season (title changed)

Postby eastlmark » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:24 pm

If anyones interested, I am racing the Spider at Lydden next Saturday (14th April) Practice starts at 12 with racing to follow and if you get there early there is a sprint in the morning.
Not sure of extra spectator entry at the moment, will keep you informed.
Last edited by eastlmark on Sun May 20, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Alpineandy

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:37 am

North Essex

Postby Alpineandy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:38 pm

I was there yesterday watching the European RallyCross championship (excellent stuff) 8) .
Mark, you should pray for as much rain as possible between now and Saturday to wash the mud off the tarmac :lol:
Alpine A110, Renault Safrane 2.5dt, Hudson Kindred Spirit (Renault powered), transAlp (Honda) and Ducati Multistrada
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Alpineandy wrote:I was there yesterday watching the European RallyCross championship (excellent stuff) 8) .
Mark, you should pray for as much rain as possible between now and Saturday to wash the mud off the tarmac :lol:

I know, I was watching it! on tv in dry heated comfortable chair thank god.

There is a sprint on sat morning, should clean it up a bit for us.
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:49 pm

go 3 names to put on the gate if anyone is interested. Might have to be handy with an impact wrench given the April showers at the moment.
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:08 pm

easy, orderly queue please, dont all rush at once.
User

si21

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 09, 2005 8:24 pm

S.E London

Sorry Mark

Postby si21 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:38 pm

eastlmark wrote:easy, orderly queue please, dont all rush at once.

Delivery special this weekend, so I cant make it unfortunately as its proper easy for me to get to too 3 miles to Lewisham turn left and just keep going :lol: :lol:

Good luck though mate keep it on the black stuff and in one piece.

si21...in order to win a race first you must get to the finish :wink:
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:08 pm

Post race report please!
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:58 pm

stephendell wrote:Post race report please!

OK then, if you must.

Qualified 11th out of 19 and 1 second faster than my previous attempt last October so quite happy about that. Have done a brief analysis of the results and notice that all the cars running slicks qualified around a second slower than the October session which was very similar weather conditons (sunny/ cool). The big difference this weekend was the dust on the track left over from last weekends ERC rallycross championship round held in dreadfull conditions. The mud had been cleared but not the dust. So all in all my time being faster than October was a good sign that maybe I have found at least a second over the winter.
As for the race itself the start was an organisational disaster. the driver of the car alongside me on the grid opened her door and began waving to warn the start marshall that she had a problem, I saw this and selected nuetral. with that the whole field went, no start lights or flags just went! Most of us saw the problem so expected a red flag, it didnt come so we just pressed on, passed a couple of cars on the way to devils Elbow, still not fully commited as I still expected that red flag. I turned in at the elbow only to find a car there so ran a bit wide and into the grass and crap on the outside of the corner but carried on after most of the field went past me, I was still not that bothered as I was confident of a red flag still.
It soon became evident that the race was not going to be stopped. I began to reel in the car infront, a Evo 4 but after a lap or so behind him he began spewing out smoke so I backed out of it expecting oil so was again slowed. I passed the evo on the run up to the hairpin and set my target on the next car, the 106 rallye I had such a great dice with last time out, At the hairpin I came up behind another failing car, the ginetta who was indicating to pull into the pits so I kept right but at that very moment the Mini that caused the problem at the start was past me on my left and blocking the Ginettas path to the pits so he pulled back infront of me so once again I was slowed as I had to stand on the brakes to avoid hitting him. I then set after the mini and the pug once more and was definatly reeling them in, I passed some backmarkers ( a BMW I must have passed about 5 times!)
On about the 10th lap though the engine cut at Devils Elbow, the old fuel surge problem and I should have known better having had the same issue on my first ever sprint lap here a few years ago. You just cannot run a Spider here on less than a 1/4 tank of fuel and I pushed the limit just too far. race over for me.

Still have a hot start issue though as the car refuses to turn over when really hot, Its a new starter motor and not a charging issue as a jump pack does not make any difference, give it 30 minutes to cool and the starter will crank the engine as normal..... but while sorting this issue someone pointed out a cracked top engine mount so I decided to scratch from the second race. A bit of a disapointing day really but with some signs to be optimistic about.
So many other cars had issues, Mitchell Perry blew his 182 clio engine when the cambelt went during the sprint, the evo in the race that smoked infront of me blew its clutch and the ginetta a fuel line. A 1975 vintage March race car (in ELF colours) was pretty much destroyed and hospitalised its driver in the single seater race.
Must admit that I was glad this was not my first race event as it may have put me off coming back for more...but the October event was so great and I am now, 24 hours later, looking forward to May 19th, next race at Lydden.
User

miles thomas

Rank

Non Member

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:38 pm

west sussex

Postby miles thomas » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:33 pm

:shock: as long as you enjoyed it Mark.
Spider,Clio Tce,C4 Cactus, 1967 DS.
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

May 19th Lydden

Postby eastlmark » Sun May 20, 2012 11:19 am

So, rounds 3 and 4 of the season, back at Lydden, but a different fomat due to us being part of the Apex vw vestival and there being no sprint scheduled this time meant an early start, signing on at 7 am!

With JL engineering having repaired my engine mount bracket and Mark Fish having engineered better mount bars themselves (possibly having been broken since I have had the car!) and with hours spent on my charging/hot start issue I was hopefull of a better race weekend than last time out.
Much bigger crowd this time as well which always makes a difference along with warm, sunny conditions so the rubber heated up nicely. Qualified 9th of 18 with a fastes ever for me lap of 49.490- thats 1.2 seconds up on last time, whats more the car felt much better with the power going down nicely exiting corners.
Race 1 then and a scary, midfield start and gone are my polite "after you" attitidues to faster cars that are starting behind me, although Peter Osbornes fast starting Clio got past me I got the better of him up into the haripin only for him to re take me again, a lap of so more of pressure caused him (I like to think) to miss a gear oout of Devils elbow and I was past, just had the gaggle of other cars to fend of for a bit before pulling clear and managed to ease off for the last few laps as no one was catching me, finished 7th. good result!

race 2 and 2 cars false started, one in front and a Honda CRX sillouette (that TBH looked more like a A310) came past me from 3 rows back even before I dropped the clutch! THe car infront of me was slow off and I had to lift and I think I got touched by a Suburu starting behind me at this point as we found some minor damage afterwards. Manage to pass another Subaru and held him off for a lap or so until all his 400 odd bhp allowed him to pass me on the straight although at the end I re caught him as he had a fuel surge issue, (as I did last time out) and I think had I been more aggressive could have passed him in the last lap but finished in 7th with a new fastest race lap (for me) and a lot of the cars that used to be out of sight here were now behind me. A good weekend! aside from the charging issue, charge light still on when cornering hard
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Sun May 20, 2012 11:22 am

next race June 9th Lydden. pm races Sprint AM.
what better way to spend a weekend in Kent, Racing action on Saturday, boring show and shine at Bromley on Sunday.
pm me to put your name on the gate.
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Tue May 22, 2012 7:52 pm

User

si21

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 09, 2005 8:24 pm

S.E London

hey

Postby si21 » Wed May 23, 2012 6:28 pm

Well.done Mark great stuff :wink:
User

mogster242

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:13 pm

Bournemouth

Postby mogster242 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:04 pm

fantastic pictures, looks like great fun :D
1989 GTA V6 Turbo Grey
Megane R26 F1
Clio 197
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Thu May 24, 2012 9:42 pm

video from race 2 on saturday, note the suburu filming makes a jump start and then brakes when he should have been starting, thus causing a frantic start behind. He then goes wide on cold slicks and I get by and hold him up for a few laps. (He does have roughly twice the power). later in the race he puls off with fuel starvation and at the flag i am right on his bumper.
oh, and that is no standard Beetle!
http://youtu.be/E6sH3kNAUfI
Next

• Advertisement