Goodwood Clubs Open Day Saturday 16th March

Competion events, results and regulations.

Moderators: eastlmark, simontaylor, Test Moderator

User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Goodwood Clubs Open Day Saturday 16th March

Postby stephendell » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:27 pm

There is an open day at Goodwood on Saturday 16th March.

The event is intended to promote the facilities available to various clubs in the area with the hope that they may hire the facilities in the future.

The track opens at 9.30 and spectators are welcome. The cafe will also be open at lunchtime. The session closes at 12.30. Other clubs will be out in the afternoon.

The following cars of interest are likely to be out on the circuit:

Jim Valentine - A310
Simon Gamblen - GTA
Stephen Dell - R8 TS or Spider
Nigel Patten - R8 Gordini

As far as I am aware none of these people has a passenger at present. Passenegers are allowed to be driven around the circuit and have complimentary tea / coffee / cakes. Onnce these official passenger places are taken others are welcome to spectate but we have advised they will not get the free tea and cakes but the cafe will still be open. We don't know how strictly this will be enforced until we get there.

Drivers and passengers must have a current MSA standard helmet. Overalls are not required but arms and legs must be covered.

If you want to be an official passenger please contact one of the above or post below.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

London

Postby stephendell » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:31 pm

More information:

Dear Stephen,

Many thanks for agreeing to attend the Goodwood Car Club Open Day on the 16th March 2013 which promises to be a fantastic way for you and your guests to enjoy the Circuit at its best.

For registration purposes would you be kind enough to let me know the following;

Name and Club position of Driver One - eg. Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, Member?

Name and Club position of Driver Two - eg. Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, Member?

Make & Model of Car One

Make & Model of Car Two

The timings for the morning session are as follows;

7:45am - 8:00am – Arrival and noise testing

8:20am Briefing (All drivers must attend)

9:00am - 9:30am – Circuit familiarisation convoy runs

9:30am - 12:30pm – Track live

(10:15am - 12:30pm) – Hot Laps available with Anthony Reid in Lotus Exige S

1:00pm – Depart

Tea, coffee and cakes will be available from within the Jackie Stewart Pavilion throughout the morning session.

Further Information you may find helpful is below;

Please see attachments for full regulations, but below are some key questions

- MSA approved helmets must be worn by drivers and passengers and can be provided by Goodwood on the day for no extra cost

- Arms and legs must be covered whilst in the vehicles

- All drivers and passengers must sign the Motor Circuit Driving Rules on the day in order to take part in the circuit activity– please see attached.

- Passengers must be 16 years or older

- No hand-held cameras or recording equipment are allowed within the cars

- The noise limit for the day will be 105dB static (measured at ¾ rpm limit, at 45 degrees 0.5 metres from exhaust outlet)

- Fuel is not available for purchase on site. The nearest re-fuelling garage is at Sainsbury’s (PO19 7YR), less than 1 mile away

- The Aero Club Café and NAAFI Wagon will be open throughout the day, serving a range of food and drinks.

- Please bring a copy of your driver’s license for the briefing

- Spectators are welcome, but complementary light refreshments will be available for drivers and passengers only

This should be everything you need and myself and the Motor Circuit Team look forward to welcoming you to Goodwood.

Best regards,

Megan

This only came today so no lastminute.com digs please.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:50 pm

East London

Postby eastlmark » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:37 am

sounds a great chance to drive this track, take care though, this is probably faster than any track most have been on before! one for the brave.
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, 5 gt turbo, 5 Gordini turbo, Megane RS 300 Trophy.
User

Teglen

Rank

Non Member

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:23 pm

Near Salisbury, Wiltshire

Postby Teglen » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:32 pm

eastlmark wrote:sounds a great chance to drive this track, take care though, this is probably faster than any track most have been on before! one for the brave.

I'll second that. Absolutely fabulous (and historic) track, but it really is a very fast curcuit. And with very little run-off in most places, so an "off" could be particularly nasty (for car and driver).

Some years ago I went round in an M6 and 150+mph on the straight was easily achievable... fun, but somewhat scary too.

Drive safe.
User

si21

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 09, 2005 8:24 pm

S.E London

Postby si21 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:13 pm

eastlmark wrote:sounds a great chance to drive this track, take care though, this is probably faster than any track most have been on before! one for the brave.

I am thinking exactly the same thing Mark I would be lying if I said it I was not nervous. I have looked at some lap footage and it looks slow but I can see from the very nature of the course its is very Thruxton-esk big fast sweeping bends :shock: I am just wondering how the GTA on standard suspension will cope at those kinds of speeds anything up to 130mph through Fordwater probably more like 120 in an Atmo I am hoping that it wont start to show up too many limitations of the standard set up :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: nervous larfs

Mark as somebody who has driven the circuit how hard is it hard on the brakes? Do the big fast sections allow for enough cooling between bends?

I drove Brands and the brakes were fine not a problem, but the most I was hitting was about 96mph down the main straight that's quite a difference in speeds; I am hoping it will be more smooth scrubbing off of some speed to take the corner rather than hauling the car down to a suitable speed?

I will certainly not be acting the hero, I will feel my way round first before doing anything more serious.

Any tips from anyone with experience of this circuit gratefully received!

Cheers

Si21
User

Teglen

Rank

Non Member

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:23 pm

Near Salisbury, Wiltshire

Postby Teglen » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Advice from an expert... http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/tracks/goodwood.html

I recall being suprised that it wasn't quite as hard on the brakes as I expected - although admittedly the M6 did have 374mm discs with 255/40/19 and 285/35/19 tyres front/rear. Not sure I'd be quite as surprised with GTA brakes though (being essentially made of low-melting-point cheese as they are).

As with any track day visit, a brake inspection and maybe fresh fluid & bleed is a wise consideration (along with other checks of course).
User

si21

Rank

Non Member

S.E London

Postby si21 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:12 pm

Teglen wrote:Advice from an expert... http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/tracks/goodwood.html

I recall being suprised that it wasn't quite as hard on the brakes as I expected - although admittedly the M6 did have 374mm discs with 255/40/19 and 285/35/19 tyres front/rear. Not sure I'd be quite as surprised with GTA brakes though (being essentially made of low-melting-point cheese as they are).

As with any track day visit, a brake inspection and maybe fresh fluid & bleed is a wise consideration (along with other checks of course).

Brakes checked and bled, hence tow broken rear bleed nipples, but I am a little concerned about the feel of the peddle a bit spongy, having to push a little further than I would like. The fluid look clean when it comes out no bubbles, I have 5.1 in there at the moment, but I am considering a change of fluid ATE blue high temp stuff. It's supposed to be unbeatable for performance against value. I will take the car for a drive tonight and put the brakes through there paces and see what is what, a flyby Mr Dells and see what he thinks too.

I have hardly driven the car last year and only local and few motorway miles nothing in sporting and nothing in anger.

I'll check the website/link out, thanks.

Si21
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:08 am

my experience when sprinting the GTA was maxing out and bumping the rev limiter in 4th..... so probably 120mph-ish....... before the next braking point.
It is an experience and a cult place to lap around.
Enjoy and take care.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

mogster242

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:13 pm

Bournemouth

Postby mogster242 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:34 pm

I went to a trackday there with the megane about 3 years ago, before i got my gta. it is a fantastic track and really fast. to be honest the megane was not suited for this circuit at all and i was constantly being overtaken by supercars going at stupid speeds... was still doing 110mph on the straight and i remember the car shaking like mad when trying to slow down at the end.... really scary but a lot of fun, big adrenaline rush especially coz there is very little run off around the track so you dont want to get it wrong... i will definitely go back when the gta is back and running.

just take it easy, start slow get to know the track and increase your pace slowly as you get more confident :wink: :twisted: enjoy!
1989 GTA V6 Turbo Grey
Megane R26 F1
Clio 197
User

si21

Rank

Non Member

S.E London

Postby si21 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:03 pm

mogster242 wrote:I went to a trackday there

just take it easy, start slow get to know the track and increase your pace slowly as you get more confident :wink: :twisted: enjoy!
:oops:

Oh.that exactly the way i.qas planning to.do it ..i have good road tyres but they will take some warming especially with a very cold tarmac temperature...everything needs to be taken into.account and come away in one piece ...driver and car both :wink:

come down and see us...have a ride round :P

si
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

London

Postby stephendell » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:18 pm

Jim Valentine suffered engine failiure today at Castle Coombe so looks like there is a driver place free if anyone wants it!

Call my mobile 07956495773 if you are interested.
User

mogster242

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:13 pm

Bournemouth

Postby mogster242 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:44 pm

si21 wrote:
Oh.that exactly the way i.qas planning to.do it ..i have good road tyres but they will take some warming especially with a very cold tarmac temperature...everything needs to be taken into.account and come away in one piece ...driver and car both :wink:

come down and see us...have a ride round :P

si

I would have loved to, but bad timing, it's my daughter's 5th birthday, I wouldn't miss that for the world :D next time :wink:

Enjoy and let us know how it goes
1989 GTA V6 Turbo Grey
Megane R26 F1
Clio 197
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

London

Postby stephendell » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:01 pm

Bob Gibson provisional if no one else wants the place.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

London

Postby stephendell » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:55 pm

Cancel that, space still up for grabs.

Anyone?

• Advertisement