Young club member makes sprint debut

Competion events, results and regulations.

Moderators: eastlmark, simontaylor, Test Moderator

no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:50 pm

East London

Young club member makes sprint debut

Postby eastlmark » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:29 am

Well. after years of him helping me out, it was time to put Riku behind the wheel at an event. Having not taken his test yet and with only 20 or so hours of driving instruction on the road I was a bit nervous about him climbing into a full on race car and getting it off the line so, with the help of some HCAAC members, I booked a day at the Gosfield test track near Braintree for the day before the North Weald Sprint.
Turns out, although cheap (£60 for the day) this place is not exactly Bruntingthorp!

although its a wide runway, only the centre part has been tarmaced at some point and even that has the odd pot hole. This one here by the "pits" being the worse.

With a hairpin at each end though, its the perfect place to prepare for north weald and get some practice starts. Would have to be desperate to spend a whole day here mind but might be usefull for testing engine set ups etc on non road legal cars, lots of loose gravel though on the surface so not good for prestine bodywork.

So, off to North Weald then next day.

The white Ginetta in front is our main class rival along with a ropey 205 gti and a Fiesta.

Riku has instructions not to go for a time and to bring the car home safely, on a damp track he was running full Michelin wets and instructed not to flat shift on the first run.
Brings the car home he does too, only a practice lap but he beat most of the Ferraris present! with a 99.01

2nd time run and I allow the flat shift this time, similar conditions and he
does a 95.05 while the Ginetta sets a time in the high 92's

first timed run then, the Ginetta sets a benchmark at 90.87, way out of reach I thought and not wanting to pressure Riku into making an error I tell him agian we are not competing for a win. He makes a slow start but turns in a 90.92. Just .05 of a second behind with at least 2 seconds lost at the start. I now begin to think the impossible, a class win could be on the cards!
Sadly though, the rain starts during lunchbreak and the track is soaked by the time the 2nd time run comes around and with no chance of the track drying we have to admit defeat as the first timed run will be the fastest no matter how hard he tries. 2nd timed run, again he makes a slow start and comes home in 95.87 to the Ginettas 93.79. But we had a lumpy missfire on return, think a coil or plug at fault or maybe just the moisture, whatever.

Although a little dissapointed, he performed way above my expectations coming 27th overall out of 60 odd cars, beating most of the Ferraris and 4 of the Lotus on track cars as well.

video of final timed run, including spin in the far distance and missfire.
http://youtu.be/Gp818ODg7f0
Last edited by eastlmark on Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, 5 gt turbo, 5 Gordini turbo, Megane RS 300 Trophy.
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:23 am

Well done Riku! Bet you were proud Mark :wink:

That's a great result, nice to see the youth coming through into motorsport as well.
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
no avatar
User

TONY LAW

Rank

Non Member

Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:45 pm

Essex

Postby TONY LAW » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:13 pm

Yes well done Riku,after years of waiting in the wings its your chance to shine,I hope your sponser got plenty of money! :D
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:55 pm

thanks,
was a nervous and proud moment I guess. I think I had expectations of him stalling on the line, spinning and being unable to re start, knocking cones and causing delays etc but that was replaced with on my god he's going too fast worries.
sorry for the huge and small photos. photobucket seems to have changed for the worse, never had such issues before. Mind you most up to date internet forums auto re size photos. :wink:
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, 5 gt turbo, 5 Gordini turbo, Megane RS 300 Trophy.
User

si21

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 09, 2005 8:24 pm

S.E London

well done Riku

Postby si21 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:12 pm

well done Riku

Brilliant stuff well done you must be.proud Mark :wink:

Please remind me which events your going to.so I know which to avoid ....could be severely embarresing being beaten by a novice without a drivers licence eh .

As i recall we did have this conversation jokingly did we not :lol:

well many a true thing said in jest ...I was only joking maybe you should let Riku out in the spider so he can show you how its done :lol: I am.just realising who the pressure is really on eh Dad :lol:

see you tonight?

Si21
User

PaulC1959

Rank

Non Member

Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:56 pm

Bedfordshire

Postby PaulC1959 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:31 pm

HEY RIKU!! :wink: :wink:

WELL DONE!! COOL! 8) 8)

Good man Mark, my Dad only ever “let” me wash the family car until I was 18 and then he very, very grudgingly allowed me learn to drive in it because my Mum engaged in some pretty heavy weight badgering. As soon as I passed my test I never again graced the velour driving seat of that 1978 Datsun Sunny 120Y........................................

Congratulations again chaps.
Venturi 260 - Saphir (Bleu)
Renault Sport Megane 230 F1 Team R26 - Liquid Yellow
Renault Sport Clio 197 - Ultra Red
Renault Megane Maxim 1.5 DCi - Extreme Blue (Daily Runner)
Minari RS - Coral Red
Smart Roadster Coupe 80 - Spice Red
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:39 pm

found this pic on the borough 19 motor club site, shows how much he listens to his dad telling him to take it easy....clear daylight under that rear wheel.
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:31 am

Farnborough District MC allows 14 year olds to dirive in AutoTests
and 16 year olds in Auto SOlos.

Both events are £35 to enter and can be double driven, so Dad can play too.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:11 pm

simontaylor wrote:Farnborough District MC allows 14 year olds to dirive in AutoTests

auto solo with a sequential gearbox...maybe stick to the real thing. Not sure he would be happy on a solo now.
User

si21

Rank

Non Member

S.E London

Autosolo...not Autotest

Postby si21 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:28 pm

eastlmark wrote:
simontaylor wrote:Farnborough District MC allows 14 year olds to dirive in AutoTests

auto solo with a sequential gearbox...maybe stick to the real thing. Not sure he would be happy on a solo now.

Hi.Mark Simon T is referingto an Autosolo; this.like.a sprint the course set out with cones exactly the same as a sprint only lower speedsless chance of an off and half the price so ideal for a youngster or novice to have some safe fun and get used the car no handbrake turns or reversing or j turns ..its only forwards in direction...a mini sprint and.i beleive there are normally a number of different courses to drive on the day...great value :wink: 8)

si21
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:33 am

Top result Riku!
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

si21

Rank

Non Member

S.E London

top result

Postby si21 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:15 pm

stephendell wrote:Top result Riku!

t
So if Riku can do it so can you steve; you already have better equipment than most..please.leave the excuses below :lol: :lol: :lol:

Si21

• Advertisement