Birkett 6 hour relay, Silverstone 26th October

Competion events, results and regulations.

Moderators: eastlmark, simontaylor, Test Moderator

no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:50 pm

East London

Re: Birkett 6 hour relay, Silverstone 26th October

Postby eastlmark » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:58 pm

well out of my comfort zone at Silverstone - lots of fast turns only for the brave! Had to learn the track in the wet and with my lovely wet tyres locked away due to trusting the weather forecasts. On 888's all day although slicks were available the weather was too unpredictable as the next driver/ car in line needs to be ready to go in case the previous driver has a problem, there is no option to last minute change.
Learning the track was one thing and watching mirrors for hordes of Caterhams was another. Not sure I got any clear laps in without having to run way of line at some point to let faster stuff through, supposed to take the racing line and let them sort it out but that is easier said then done when there is one each side of you and another up your backside. Only started to enjoy it near the end of my first stint and looked forward for my second 30 minutes when I felt I had the confidence to push a bit harder on the now dry track. Did get shown up by a few cars I should have easily beaten mind... a black 182 which looked standard other then stripped out passed me and drove away.... Having said that, the Clio was great on the straights, often pulling alongside the faster cars before they hurtle into Stowe- not having a speedo I am unsure of top speed but its pretty quick and yes, 6th gear does exist.
Have to remember its a team event and a car off the track would ruin for all the others so needed be a little cautious but got the lap times down into the 2m 40s at the end....not a great Silverstone time but at least heading in the right direction.
A bit like Prescott though, will probably not get another chance on the GP circuit till next year when all learned will be forgotten.

A great event though and my dream of an RAOC team lives on.
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, 5 gt turbo, 5 Gordini turbo, Megane RS 300 Trophy.
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:10 am

Having now seen the results, we ended up 54th overall scratch which became 44th overall with the handicap applied. Not a bad result out of 70 teams.
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, 5 gt turbo, 5 Gordini turbo, Megane RS 300 Trophy.
User

si21

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 09, 2005 8:24 pm

S.E London

Postby si21 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:29 pm

That's not bad for a first attempt at balls out fast circuit Mark, well done.
I would love to compete in something like that, but that seems to be a long way off at the moment.

Mind you if I pick up a couple of those Megane trophy race cars!!...I'll.have won the lottery :lol:

si21
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:31 pm

Yes that looks like a grand day out. Like you say would be good to get a RAOC team or even an Alpine team if you could join forces with Tim Jeffrey, Mark Rideout, Iain Black etc?
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

si21

Rank

Non Member

S.E London

Postby si21 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:29 am

BIG_MVS wrote:Yes that looks like a grand day out. Like you say would be good to get a RAOC team or even an Alpine team if you could join forces with Tim Jeffrey, Mark Rideout, Iain Black etc?
BIG_MVS wrote:Yes that looks like a grand day out. Like you say would be good to get a RAOC team or even an Alpine team if you could join forces with Tim Jeffrey, Mark Rideout, Iain Black etc?

unfortunately Martin its not just a matter of wanting to compete in the race the cars have to be fully compliant, they need to be fully caged, fire compliant -fire extinguisher, protective clothing harness seats all of which need to be up to date and meet regs ...the cost is large and then there is the ARDS requirement and also race licence. The owners may then not want the higher risk of damage that can write off an Alpine, thats why Mark races the Clio and not the Spider. Even moderate damage would cost a fortune but a clio can be re shelled for a bag of sand. You would also need a trailer and vehicle to tow it with as i certainly would not want to go racing without that kind of support driving to an event racing and then driving home again mmmm not for me what happens if you do damage it and its undrivable? Who said motor racing was cheap...nobody :lol: unfortunately

Tim Jeffrie's car doesn't comply and neither does Iain Blacks nor Mark Rideouts car ...no cage still has full interior and TBH its hard enough trying to get people to compete in safer sprints at far lower cost compared to racing. Dont get me wrong its a great dream and one I definitely share. Fancy prepping and caging the 610 or a GTA and having a go? I'd love to see more Alps/Renault Sports race cars out there; myself to be included.

Mr Dell and Andy probably have almost compliant cars but as far as I know neither want to go racing and just enjoy their cars with track time.

we'll just keep dreaming on ..well maybe one day eh...who knows..I might win the lottery?

I hope to.see a lot more.Cars competing at Prescott next year i was the only GTA this year when normally there are more GTA's than any other marque? Come on where are you all?

Si21
Last edited by si21 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:35 am

time ,money kids :lol:

Moving unit on Friday and hoping to drag JIL's sorry ass round there and at least have it staring at me ......You can buy a whole GTA for peanuts but it's all the custom bits that add up .....
User

si21

Rank

Non Member

S.E London

Postby si21 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:44 am

clee wrote:time ,money kids :lol:

Moving unit on Friday and hoping to drag JIL's sorry ass round there and at least have it staring at me ......You can buy a whole GTA for peanuts but it's all the custom bits that add up .....

I dont have kids but the time factor alone is bad enough eh prepping and running a race car is not something you can do half heartedly ..it take loads of commitment time and money..not sure i have the moneybor the time..commitment is free lol :lol:

si21
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:14 am

in car video here of my first session out in the car, track wet off line despite the sun exaggerated by the camera. A bit of a tedious video really, don't expect anyone to watch it all, but worth seeing a bit to illustrate how the gaggles of Caterhams and other assorted lightweight sports cars come streaming past on nearly every apex I aim for. Yes, I know a smart car passes me but I was on my out lap and he pitted shortly afterwards before I had the chance to re pass him. Hopefully might get my second race session up loaded too which was a lot faster and with a bit more action in sight.

http://youtu.be/XJ1FaJeJ8Yc
Previous

• Advertisement