Hill climb

Competion events, results and regulations.

Moderators: eastlmark, simontaylor, Test Moderator

User

Miles

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:06 am

Hampshire

Hill climb

Postby Miles » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:16 pm

Hi there,
While at Prescott
Myself and Rupert decided it might be fun to compete next year.
I have spoken to Simon gambling briefly but was unable to take much in due to back pain
And no note pad.

To that end can anyone explain what kit I need exactly, where to buy, and what I need to do to my car?
The MSA website is hopeless and provides a novice no obvious info.
Even after an hour scrolling around their site.

Dave
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:50 pm

East London

Re: Hill climb

Postby eastlmark » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:18 pm

1, Apply for a non race national B licence here www.http://www.msauk.org/custom/asp/home/default.asp but not until next year assuming you don't want to do anything this year as they expire on Dec 31st. (having said that, plenty of sprints left for this year to get you started)

2 You need a MSA approved (not army!) helmet. Try www.demontweeks.co.uk but loads of other outlets such as GPR racewear or www.http://www.v2sport.com/ Note a motorcycle helmet will not do.
3 need a race suit and gloves, same rules and suppliers as above.

4 the car, the good news is you don't need to do much. All you need is a sticker on your ignition showing which way to turn the key to switch the engine off and a bit of yellow tape on the + wire from you battery. Just make sure the Battery is securely held in place, and no visible holes in the bulkhead/ drivers compartment. You will also need a timing strut on the very front most part of your car, When you apply for a licence you get a copy of the blue book which details the exact dimensions of this - I velcroed one on my Spider for many years without issue but you can engineer one on your towing eye or on number plate screws, whatever. Also buy a pack of race numbers from Demon tweeks as you will need the correct number on each side of your car that will correspond with the number shown on the entry list.

5 enter. You will need to enter the events, if its only Prescott, then check here for entry details, if you want to enter other sprints then register for a championship such as http://acsmcsite.wordpress.com/ and they will wend you entry details (known as "regs") as and when they are available. You will need to know which class to enter, assuming it will be road going, there can be a couple of options depending what tyres you are on and what you have done to your car. Details are in the "regs" but note if you car is modified, you may need a roll cage.
6 Join a motor club. You will need a valid club membership card. Good news here too is that the RAOC card will get you into most events, make sure you have paid your fees and have a valid card to show. You will also need to show your road insurance certificate at the event. (god knows why as you are not insured!)
7 Suggest you visit a few sprints first just to get the idea, Prescott is a little laid back and different to most events. Me, Simon G and hopefully Simon T are often at events so just ask.

hope that helps.
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, 5 gt turbo, 5 Gordini turbo, Megane RS 300 Trophy.
User

RED21

Rank

Non Member

Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:43 pm

New Forest

Postby RED21 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:25 pm

Someone beat me to it, But here is my bit,

First off you should decide what class & championship you will enter and if you need to join an organising club then apply for a Non race national “B” competition licence.
Once you have made your choice you will need to read the championship supplementary regulations (SR’s) and the MSA blue book for the regs on safety & common regulations that apply to all participants, both of these are found online, the blue book is on the MSA site under publications.
It is best to prepare the car when you have deciphered the rules for the class / Championship you have chosen as there can be slight differences but the basic car prep for a road going class is a timing strut at the front of the vehicle, numbers as per regs & that the car is in good order and maintained with a current MoT, RFL.
For yourself you will need a set of race overalls, helmet, gloves & boots to the FIA/MSA standards which can be found within the blue book, but be careful some of the standards can be dropped at the start of each year so it pays to read the regs before purchase.
Companies like, Demon Tweeks, Merlin motorsport at Castle Combe, JJC, and GPR can supply you with the appropriate gear & sometimes do beginners deals for the novice.
I would also strongly advise to get yourself booked on to hill climb/sprint school day which some venues like Gurston down run though out the summer months.
As you are in Hampshire your nearest hill climb is Gurston Down just outside Salisbury & details can be found on their web site, & if you have time pop along this weekend and have a chat (#108)
Once you get yourself sorted there are also sprints that take place on air fields & circuits like Castle Combe & Goodwood.
Rich
User

Miles

Rank

Non Member

Hampshire

Postby Miles » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:58 pm

Cheers for the replies guys.
Worryingly you mentioned modified would need a roll cage!
Is that me out then, as I won't be fitting a roll cage.

Dave
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:36 pm

No just enter in roadgoing
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:43 pm

Miles wrote:Cheers for the replies guys.
Worryingly you mentioned modified would need a roll cage!
Is that me out then, as I won't be fitting a roll cage.

Dave

No, you will fit in road going, assuming you still have an interior and rear seats, glass windows then you will be ok. Induction is free so not matter what you have done in the way of turbo's will be ok. Engine block and head must be of the same outwardly identifiable type and the gearbox casing and gear selection type must be the same as original (internals and ratios can be messed with).
also, if you only want to do Prescott then don't worry as its just a age class no questions asked.
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, 5 gt turbo, 5 Gordini turbo, Megane RS 300 Trophy.
User

Miles

Rank

Non Member

Hampshire

Postby Miles » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:03 pm

We'll that should be ok then hopefully. It's still a PRV with a UN1 box.
Haha
Will start getting the kit together.
User

miles thomas

Rank

Non Member

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:38 pm

west sussex

Postby miles thomas » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:22 am

Hi Dave hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread.I have just got my license for this year sent in on Monday and got everything back Saturday so that is the easy bit. The MSA yearbook is not straight forward if you are coming to this as a newbie but I know Mark is on here to help.I am looking forward to having a go and being a more active part of the days events :up I'm going to thank Mark and others in advance as I know I will have questions but that's it for now. See you on the black stuff ;)
Spider,Clio Tce,C4 Cactus, 1967 DS.
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:21 pm

miles thomas wrote:Hi Dave hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread.I have just got my license for this year sent in on Monday and got everything back Saturday so that is the easy bit. The MSA yearbook is not straight forward if you are coming to this as a newbie but I know Mark is on here to help.I am looking forward to having a go and being a more active part of the days events :up I'm going to thank Mark and others in advance as I know I will have questions but that's it for now. See you on the black stuff ;)

Yes Miles, I was only thinking about you this week and was about to remind you about competing this year. Glad to see you have it all under control.
Anyone else wanting to compete this year fire away with an questions.
User

miles thomas

Rank

Non Member

west sussex

Postby miles thomas » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:00 pm

Mark thinking of me that's nice :wave
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:50 am

You planning any warm up events before Prescot, Miles?
User

miles thomas

Rank

Non Member

west sussex

Postby miles thomas » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:37 pm

Yes training mainly but open to other events if i could fit them in befor Prescott.
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

Postby Tony Smith » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:25 pm

miles thomas wrote:Mark thinking of me that's nice :wave

Or possibly creepy/concerning depending on the context :0)
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:57 pm

Good warm up event for Prescott could be:
Rushmoor (Aldershot) on May 3rd. Great, because you will get 2 timed practice runs and 4 timed competitive runs, for £80. I will be there too.
Gurstan Down, (Salsbury), 18th April, close for you Dave Miles. I will be there too.
Debden, Stansted way, 10th May, Mark tells me it is bumpy though.
Lydden, Maidstone, 9th May, a fast circuit. I will be there too.

And another good thread ......
http://www.renaultalpine.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2145
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

Postby Tony Smith » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:13 am

I'll try and get down and watch on the 9th - only up the road from me :0).
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
Next

• Advertisement