Barry Williams trophy

Competion events, results and regulations.

Moderators: eastlmark, simontaylor, Test Moderator

no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:50 pm

East London

Barry Williams trophy

Postby eastlmark » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:35 pm

Interesting story on Twitter, ( @alpinerenaultuk )Barry Williams's original; trophy for winning the Alpine Eurocup race at Brands Hatch is now renamed and will be awarded yearly to the UK Clio cup champion.

whhizzo cup.jpg

Re-named the Barrie Williams Trophy, the piece of silverware will now be handed down to each Clio Cup Champion in future.

Its origins date back to Brands Hatch some 30 years ago when, in front of a home F1 crowd, Whizzo overcame the might of overseas opposition to win Britain’s round of Renaultsport’s pan-European championship for its Alpine V6 Turbo sportscar.

Barrie has kindly offered it to become the Clio Cup Champion’s trophy and each year, after being presented to the new title-winner and engraved with their name, it will be kept pride of place in the main reception hall at Renault’s UK headquarters.

Barrie’s history with Renault UK’s racing championships dates back to the Seventies. He was one of the top names in Renault 5s, won the UK’s 5 GT Turbo crown in 1987 following his famous win at Brands Hatch two years earlier and competed in the first Clio Cup in the early Nineties. He’s even campaigned the likes of Renault Alpine A110s and a mid-engined 5 Turbo 2 up Prescott’s hillclimb course and in the Tour of Britain.

“I’ve been racing since I got my international licence in 1959 and don’t really know anything else but motor sport – Renault has always been so good to me down the years so I wanted to give something back,” he commented.

“As a lead into serious touring car and GT racing the Clio Cup is brilliant for a young driver – the racing is exceptionally close and really gets the drivers in the right frame of mind. I loved the opening round at Brands Hatch – what a race for the win – and I’m proud to hand over this trophy to the eventual Champion. Whoever wins it will be a real champion…”

Renault UK Clio Cup Championship Manager Will Fewkes said: “We thank Barrie greatly for his very generous offer. He is an all-time Renault racing great and knowing just how big a race it was when he won this trophy makes it even more special for our the Clio Cup and its champions in the years to come. We very much look forward to welcoming Barrie to Finals Day at Brands Hatch in October to make the presentation to our 2015 Champion.”

Meanwhile Barrie recalls that famous win in ’85 vividly, adding: “I was drafted in at the last by Jeff Goodliffe – very famous in Renault racing circles – who was running the car for the Dutch but the driver, Jan Lammers, didn’t want to drive because he said it wasn’t competitive.

“It all came down to a move with a lap to go going into Paddock Hill Bend when I went past one of the top international names for the lead. The crowd went mad and you really could hear them from inside the car.

“I had Murray Walker and James Hunt come up afterwards and say they’d lost their voices in the commentary box! I felt like an Olympic champion representing Great Britain standing up there on the podium with the National Anthem playing. Even better, Nigel Mansell who I’ve known for donkeys’ years got his first Grand Prix victory the next day.”

full story here: http://t.co/HAmH2YtniJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, 5 gt turbo, 5 Gordini turbo, Megane RS 300 Trophy.
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Re: Barry Williams trophy

Postby simontaylor » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:11 am

Nice one :up
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

si21

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 09, 2005 8:24 pm

S.E London

Postby si21 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:45 pm

Missed this somehow - nice story Mark thanks for posting

si21
User

PaulC1959

Rank

Non Member

Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:56 pm

Bedfordshire

Postby PaulC1959 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:01 am

Nice touch from a nice guy. He always takes time to talk to us Venturi guys whenever he sees us as he seems to have a soft spot for them and he even invited himself into my Venturi at this years RS Origine event at Goodwood to "Show me around and go a bit quicker" :up
Venturi 260 - Saphir (Bleu)
Renault Sport Megane 230 F1 Team R26 - Liquid Yellow
Renault Sport Clio 197 - Ultra Red
Renault Megane Maxim 1.5 DCi - Extreme Blue (Daily Runner)
Minari RS - Coral Red
Smart Roadster Coupe 80 - Spice Red
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:50 pm

East London

Postby eastlmark » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:57 am

It has just dawned on me that both the original "whizzo" and this "Barrie Williams Trophy" have both been awarded to drivers from the same town who attended the same school.
I am not sure anyone was counting the points last year but I think Riku would have won the Whizzo after many sprint class wins and 2nd places. (We have yet to tot up this years winner if anyone wants to submit their results I will give it a go).
The Barrie Williams Trophy has gone to Ashley Sutton for being the best place rookie driver in the UK Clio cup championship.... as well as winning the overall title itself.
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, 5 gt turbo, 5 Gordini turbo, Megane RS 300 Trophy.

• Advertisement