thread links in Facebook

If you have a question about the website, including how to use or find a feature, please check these posts or add your own question.

When reporting an issue, please try to include details that will help to track it down. including Device information (PC, mac, Tablet, Phone etc) and what browser you are using including its version number.

If you need to contact an Administrator, please email mail@renaultalpine.co.uk

Moderators: eastlmark, phildini, BIG_MVS, Alpineandy, Test Moderator

Forum rules
If you have a question about the website, including how to use or find a feature, please check these posts or add your own question.

When reporting an issue, please try to include details that will help to track it down. including Device information (PC, mac, Tablet, Phone etc) and what browser you are using including its version number.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

thread links in Facebook

Postby clee » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:56 pm

Social media one here .If I link to a forum thread on Facebook it brings up an image of the Dell asp kick gif :up

Although LOL it probably should be the club logo :up Just click on my FB link bottom and latest posting :RATS
User

The Saint

Rank

Administrator

Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:55 am

Rugby Warwickshire

Re: thread links in Facebook

Postby The Saint » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:12 pm

?? I clicked your "F**k Book" link, and it worked fine?? I will mess about on a windows machine, once at work, and see if anything diffrent happens... but on my Mac its fine??
The Saint.
Blue A610,
Black Smart Roadster.
SmartEDElectric Drive
User

jonc

Rank

Non Member

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:08 am

Oxfordshire

Postby jonc » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:51 pm

It wasn't working on my Mac. The posting works but I think Lee's point is that the icon that FB puts next to the link does not appear to be the logo, rather someone's avatar or something.
User

The Saint

Rank

Administrator

Rugby Warwickshire

Postby The Saint » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:36 pm

??? most strange.... this is a screen shot of what I get when I click the link on my Mac..

FBook.jpg

All seems fine???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Saint.
Blue A610,
Black Smart Roadster.
SmartEDElectric Drive
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:41 pm

no you misunderstand .
it,s where ,in the conversation about the blue car ,I have pasted in a direct link to the RTOC forum thread .FB show the link but also a picture..I'll ring you
User

SuperSean

Rank

Administrator

Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:57 pm

Postby SuperSean » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:14 pm

Hi Lee...
I had a quick chat to Vince after your call, and have found what the issue was.

Facebook will grab the first image that is hosted on the server that it can find and use that as a thumbnail for its post.

Normally, that would have been the first image of the car that was posted to the thread, however those images are actually hosted on PhotoBucket, not uploaded to the site itself, so facebook has ignored them and gone down the page to find the first image it could see (being the kick-ass smiley that vince posted).

This issue can be overcome in the future by uploading photos directly to the site instead of using PhotoBucket or other third party image hosting services. (here is a link to a video tutorial Vince made on how to upload images to the site)

I have quickly edited Vince's post to include an RAOC logo at the start, so it should override the thumbnail that facebook has decided to use for this post, however it can take a day or so for Facebook to re check the image and update.

I can also add some meta data to the site to force facebook to use a custom thumbnail in the future, however this is an all or nothing solution and if i did this all links would have the same thumbnail image in the future.

This is something that we will discuss and add in next time we do some updates.

Sean.
User

The Saint

Rank

Administrator

Rugby Warwickshire

Postby The Saint » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:18 pm

Thanks Super....
I am not a "Social Media" sort of guy... Only have FB to help others keep in contact with me, and for this sort of situation..
But again I ask members to post pictures directly to the site... this would avoid these issues.
Thanks
Vince..
The Saint.
Blue A610,
Black Smart Roadster.
SmartEDElectric Drive

• Advertisement