no avatar
User

bcr5784

Rank

Non Member

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:47 pm

New A110 track noise

Postby bcr5784 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:03 am

Has anyone taken one on track and had the noise measured? Doesn't seem like a noisy car, but difficult to know. I do have a sound level meter (only a cheap one so not sure how accurate) so I could do some static measurements if it looks marginal. Long time since I had a car noise tested on track. If I remember rightly they did it a metre from the car (or was it the tail pipe?) at 45 degrees to the rear of the car - is that still the case (I see that Goodwood is a half a metre from the tailpipe at 3/4 maximum revs. I know that Bruntingthorpe take your money before noise testing - and it's just tough if you fail, you don't get your money back.
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Re: New A110 track noise

Postby Custard » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:53 pm

There no way the new 110 is anywhere near the dB level, unless you have fitted a different system for any track, it not that loud I’ve got a pretty free flowing exhaust on my Gta and that’s just under 100 dB and that’s ok for Goodwood and that’s loud compared to a 110.
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:51 pm

Goodwood has a number of sound levels, depending upon event.
Unlimited - Revival and Member meetings
105dB - Competition events
98dB - Commercial Track days (Origine RS was here)
Quiet - Parade laps (probably 30-50 mph)
Silent - cycling etc.

https://www.goodwood.com/globalassets/motorsport/motor-circuit/motor-circuit-diary/2019-calender-ver-7.pdf

Normally, when you go over, they pull you in and "ask" that you do something about it. They expect you to be quieter and then they let you out again and they ask you to back off a bit while passing the sound meters, and take a line away from the meter.
Wire wool up your pipes is not acceptable as an attempt to be quieter.
It's after failing this sort or gentleman like request that you will be asked to stop.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

miles thomas

Rank

Non Member

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:38 pm

west sussex

Postby miles thomas » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:13 pm

Don't get me started. It's a race track but you mustn't make to much noise wtf. You can drive your Lambo on the road and make loads of noise but you can't do a track day, you will be kicked off.
:Ass_Kick
Spider,Clio Tce,C4 Cactus, 1967 DS.
no avatar
User

bcr5784

Rank

Non Member

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:47 pm

Postby bcr5784 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:33 pm

miles thomas wrote:Don't get me started. It's a race track but you mustn't make to much noise wtf. You can drive your Lambo on the road and make loads of noise but you can't do a track day, you will be kicked off.
:Ass_Kick

Give the circuits a break, many get a lot of complaints from locals and have to try and keep them on side or they may well be shut down.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:44 pm

Mallory Park established 1956... buy a house next to a race track then complain about the noise...... Twats I say.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Postby Custard » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:18 pm

It is bonkers it’s not just tracks how about airports, people bought the houses because they were cheep because of there location, they new what they were getting.
You can’t then complain, I might be wrong but I think when the track was being revived lord March offered to buy all the houses around the track but most refused, I think they all get complementary tickets to all the major events, they all do pretty well out of it, including some major air shows.
But when it comes to the lesser events they complain, they want it on their terms so sell if you don’t like it, and now around the track I think they get really good money if they do people are funny old folk.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:59 am

simontaylor wrote:Wire wool up your pipes is not acceptable as an attempt to be quieter.

Lol. It worked for a couple of people at Origine RS but they may have packed it inside the silencer so it didn’t just blow straight out.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

r5nga

Rank

Non Member

Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:47 pm

Guildford, Surrey

Postby r5nga » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:39 pm

If you do find a noise meter and self-test before an event, don't for one minute think that this will be anything other than a roughly, approximately, not-that-close test when compared to the test on the day at the circuit by the chap in white overalls. Noise testing is a horribly imprecise science if it is not carried out in a lab and my Spider failed the test one year at OrigineRS at a measured 106dB on Parkie's meter. Same Parkie, same meter 2 weeks earlier (broadly similar weather) in same place measured 96dB. Given that 3dB on that scale represents a doubling of sound pressure/volume, that increase would have been over 3x the volume. Yeah right. I explained the physics but Parkie was having nothing of it. Give him his due though, a quick bolt-on SuperTrapp and he measured 94dB - 4 times quieter (not) - but hey, he passed it.

If in doubt, I recommend carrying something like a SuperTrapp, pre-prepared so it can be attached safely and quickly, for just such occasions. I did a track-day at Donnington once and the noise testing had to stop each time a jumbo took off from East Midlands airport as it came over the top of the circuit and the Noise Parkie's couldn't even talk to eachother to write down the numbers...... go figure.
Spider. Yellow, obviously.

• Advertisement